1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2013 1:02 AM by KenGremillion

Value-List equation not correctly converted into FM12

KenGremillion

Summary

Value-List equation not correctly converted into FM12

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12 Pro Advanced

Operating system version

OSX 10.8.3

Description of the issue

I had created a drop down value list in FM11

use values from first field: f_key (table 1)
      also display values from second field (table 2)
      include only related values starting from (table 3)

Worked perfectly in FM11

Not functional in FM12 ... does nothing.

Steps to reproduce the problem

clicking on the field which is a drop down list using the value pattern stated above.

Expected result

a drop-down list

Actual result

highlighted field

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

no error messages

Workaround

none so far... this totally messes up my database

comparison.png

• 1. Re: Value-List equation not correctly converted into FM12
          Fred(CH)

Hi Ken,

Thanks for posting. What strange issue for a basic feature !

I did this test : 

• Created a basic new database on FMP Adv 11.0v4 with three tables : Event - Movie - Studio
               • You can create an event and define on it the movie you want to project; for that, you first to define the studio, for instance Dreamworks. Then, the drop down list is showing only this studio's movies, for instance Shrek I II etc.
               • Converted this database with FMP Adv 12.0v4 : all works fine after converting !

So... some questions are needed :
               • It may be due to a tiny difference between the two databases. Did you try to convert it one more time just after a last test, just to see ?
               • Broken relationships for missing Index or unstored calcs ? If you open the Data Viewer and define this formula from Table_3 : List (Table_2::Field), do you get the expected values ?
               • What about the window Mode ? Even it worked in my test, in some complex cases, this feature can fail on Search Mode however it works on Browse Mode...
               • If the issue is confirmed, try to recover the original v11 file and convert the recovered file (but it is highly spectulating...).

After that, more info about the relationships implied could be needed.

Let us know...

Bye, Fred
          • 2. Re: Value-List equation not correctly converted into FM12
            KenGremillion

Here are the relationship tables in FM 11 and FM 12... I can see no differences at all. I actually did try the conversion several times and even tried converting a recovered version of the FM 11 copy. No luck. This severely hampers my style and I will not be able to recommend FM 12 until this is resolved. I must now continue working on this DB with FM 11.

• 3. Re: Value-List equation not correctly converted into FM12
              philmodjunk

Which is table 1, 2 and 3 in your screen shots?

• 4. Re: Value-List equation not correctly converted into FM12
                KenGremillion

The DataViewer shows that the data is there... but the drop-down list is not functioning.

• 5. Re: Value-List equation not correctly converted into FM12
                  KenGremillion

use values from (3rd table from the left)

second values from (second table from the left)

• 6. Re: Value-List equation not correctly converted into FM12

Ken Gremillion:

Thank you for the post.

I am unable to replicate this either. 

Try deleting the field from the layout and deleting the associated value list, then recreating both. Afterwards, does the issue persist?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Value-List equation not correctly converted into FM12
                      KenGremillion

Gentlemen, Thank you for your help.

After deleting the supplier field on the layout as well as the value list, and then recreating them these are the results:

The drop-down list appears to work for neighboring part numbers but not part number 00011. This was the only part with multiple suppliers when I first did the conversion. I will now remove all but one supplier from the FM 11 copy and try another conversion.

• 8. Re: Value-List equation not correctly converted into FM12
                        KenGremillion

Even after deleting all but one supplier from part Number 00011, the problem persists. What worries me is that there may be other part numbers with the same problem, (I can't go through a list of thousands of parts to check them all).

This database is connected to another database... certain drawings have part numbers... so I can't just start weeding out bad numbers even if I had the time to do it. It seems to me, that with all other variables being equal, if certain part number fields arbitrarily do not work after the conversion from FM 11 to FM 12, that it must be a problem in the conversion engine. Some snippet of code that, if it can throw a wrench in the gears of a small database like mine, might cause even more serious problems for other really big, or really critical databases. The problem is that the glitch is not obvious until the field fails to act properly. There are no error messages or log issues.

I'm a big fan of Filemaker and enjoy using the rich features for solving any problems that arise. But when my code is no longer treated consistenly across any given field I must seriously ask the FM team to look into it.

I will continue to use FM 11 for this database and hope that a conversion solution is forthcoming soon.

• 9. Re: Value-List equation not correctly converted into FM12
                          KenGremillion

MORE CONVERSION PROBLEMS:

This by the way is a completely separate database, in no way connected to the one above.

• 10. Re: Value-List equation not correctly converted into FM12
                            philmodjunk

This last issue may not be a conversion error. FileMaker 12 has added new features that affect whether or not double clicking the container field will open the file.

If you optimized the field for interactive content so that you could insert the PDF using Insert PDF...

Or you specified the new external storage option...

Double clicking will not open the file.

And Insert Object is not supported in Fmp 12 as it was in FMP 11 windows...

But if you insert the file with the insert file option and with the store a reference option and without the "interactive" optimization, the file should still open with a double click. As far as I know, any other combination of field format, storage or insert options will produce a situation where you have to use Export Field Contents to open the file.

• 11. Re: Value-List equation not correctly converted into FM12
                              KenGremillion

I solved the container field problem like this, thanks to a get(TemporaryPath) suggestion in another thread:

{error capture on}

Set Variable [$Path; Value:Get(TemporaryPath) & GetAsText (GetField (GetLayoutObjectAttribute ("PDF1"; "source")))

Export Field Contents [PDF1; $Path; Automatically open]

{error capture off}

• 12. Re: Value-List equation not correctly converted into FM12
                                Fred(CH)

Hey folks, how many subjects on this thread ?

To return to main topic, did you try to check the box "resort values based on english"  on the list dialog box?

bye, Fred

• 13. Re: Value-List equation not correctly converted into FM12
                                  KenGremillion

I had deleted the FM12 version of that database, but at your suggestion converted it again and checked the "resort via english" for the sake of argument.

No difference.

Thank you for your good intentions.

As a side note, this particular database had been designed for a friend. He was waiting for me to finish and install Filemaker for him so that he could use the database. Since Filemaker no longer sells version 11, I have told him that the best he can hope for now is an FM11 runtime version of the DB... but this is not practical since the DB requires lots of input and output, and is connected to another database. So basically the database is dead in the water. Everyone's problem would be solved if Filemaker would sell him a copy of FM11. 

FM12 is no longer an option unless they come up with a new conversion engine.

• 14. Re: Value-List equation not correctly converted into FM12
                                    Markus Schneider

AFAIK you can call the FM support and ask for a downgrade. At least in april, this worked. You buy an actual version 12, call the support and ask for the downgrade.

(to be sure, call the support first, before buying a 12..)

1 2 Previous Next