Values from Value List missing, when sorted after second value

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FM Adv Pro 11.0v3

Operating system version

Windows XP SP3

Description of the issue

This is an annoying bug :) And I assume it is a bug. And I cannot find it in the database.

Steps to reproduce the problem

1. Create a table with two textfields. Add some records. The first field must only contain unique values. The other one must contain duplicate values.

2. Create a Value List. First Value is from the field with the unique values. Display second field, and choose the second field. Make sure you sort the values using the second field.

Now, apply a dropdown list to some field and look at the valuelist.

Expected result

A list with *ALL* values from the first fields, sorted after the second fields.

Actual result

Due to the fact that the second field does not contain unique values, Filemaker simply removes all duplicate lines.

So, the list does not contain all values from the first field.

• 1. Re: Values from Value List missing, when sorted after second value
          philmodjunk

I think this is by design.

Think about it. If you have two ID numbers with identical 2nd fields, how will the user know which value to choose? I think it makes good sense to apply a unique values validation on the 2nd field values if you want to sort on this field or to hide the first one.

• 2. Re: Values from Value List missing, when sorted after second value
            electric_soul

Well the users sees two columns. First and second field. Why should he make a decision by only considering the second field? There are 2 visible fields.

How about this point of view.

Let's say the dropdown shows both fields. The user sees two columns. Fact is that only the first value is being choosen/pasted when a line from the dropdown is selected. So I can say, when seeing both fields then it is all about the first field, simply because it holds the desired values and is visible. I mean, why would I show the first field, if the values were not relevant?

And now I choose to sort the values using the second field. What happens is... well we know. But still it is all about the first field values. They are the ones that are being choosen and they are visible. They still must be important. But suddenly some are missing.

Why are they gone? If I had said "Hey the first field ain't really important" then I would have hidden it myself. We all know, never confuse the user by showing useless infomation.

If I decide to not show the first field values, then I also choose that the focus and importance lies on the second field and on the second field alone. That's all the users sees. Now it is fine with me, to remove duplicates. Why would I present my user duplicates?

If this is by design, then I would rename the function "sort values".

Well........  thank you :)

Bye

Robert

• 3. Re: Values from Value List missing, when sorted after second value
              philmodjunk

Hmmm,

the user sees this in a value list:

1   John Smith
              2   John Smith

How does he decide which "John Smith" to choose?

• 4. Re: Values from Value List missing, when sorted after second value
                electric_soul

Your example shows only values from ONE field. It is ok to remove duplicates here. That's what Filmaker does. There is no reason to show dupliactes. I agree with you, there is no way for the user to decide.

But my example list looks like that. I see two fields.

331  |  Car

122  |  Bike

155  |  Car

622  |  Bike

Now I choose "Sort second field". I am expecting .

122  |  Bike

622  |  Bike

331  |  Car

155  |  Car

But instead I get

122  |  Bike

331  |  Car

I have unique values on the left. The left values are actually the significant ones. The right values are only being used to sort. Now why would I want filmaker to remove lines? I cannot think of a scenario....  :)

• 5. Re: Values from Value List missing, when sorted after second value
                  philmodjunk

On the contrary, I show values from two fields, the number (1, 2)  and the person's name (John Smith) just as you have the a number and a product name.

To rephrase using your value list example, how is the user to know whether to select 122 or 622 as they both are listed with "Bike" as the item name?

I'm not trying to argue that this isn't a problem--I'd like to see a note added with this warning to the help file. I am trying to point out that it would usually be confusing to the user to present them with identical names in column 2, but with different numbers entered from column 1.

In my own systems, I set things up to specifically avoid this. I either use a text field with an auto-enter calculation that combines more fields so that 122 | Bike is now 122 | Red Bike or some such enhanced description. I set a unique values validation rule on this text field to make sure I don't have duplicates. Or I use a completely different interface design that permits text based searches and/or a partial pattern matching scheme that includes special handling when the user entered search text matches to more than one record.

• 6. Re: Values from Value List missing, when sorted after second value
                    electric_soul

Well it depends on the context. My example doesn't make much sense.

Anyway....  sure I have to use some workarounds now. But as a developer, I'd say,  the line "Sort values" should do exactly that. Nothing more. I'd have never guessed, that this little option would temper with my value list ;)

Well,  thanks so far. :)

Bye

Robert