VerifyContainer and question marks

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FMP 12.0v1

Operating system version

OS X 10.6.8

Description of the issue

The new VerifyContainer function seems to return a question mark in a surprising number of cases.  In my testing, only the following condition returns 1 or 0:
      * Container data is stored externally using FMP12's new external storage.  (When the stored file is present in the external storage folder, the function returns 1; it shows 0 if the file has been moved or deleted from the external storage folder.)

The following conditions return question marks in my testing:
      * Container data is stored internally.
      * Container data is only a reference to the original file (using "store only a reference").
      * Container field is empty (even if the field is defined to use external storage).

Expected result

Setting aside the help page's mention of "external" data, I'd note that the field isn't called "VerifyExternalContainer"; it's called "VerifyContainer" and, as far as I'm concerned, this means it verifies container fields.  The behavior I expect would entail the following:

* External data would be checked as it is now.
      * Data stored "as a reference only" would return 1 or 0 by performing a check similar to the external data above.  That this scenario results in a question mark is dumbfounding.
      * Internal data would always return 1 (unless the contents were corrupt?).

I would argue that an empty container field should also return a 0 rather than a question mark.  If you needed to find truly missing external files, you would then check for records where VerifyContainer ( field ) = 0 and not IsEmpty ( field ).

If FMI insists on retaining the exact functionality demonstrated now, the function should be renamed, or at minimum the examples listed at the bottom of the function's help page should expressly state that you'll get question marks for any number of scenarios that don't involve a non-container field.

• 1. Re: VerifyContainer and question marks
          steveromig

Dillik -

Thank you for your message.

Based on the feedback you provided it appears the VerifyContainer function is working as designed for you, but you were expecting it to do more based on the naming of the function.

I will pass on your feedback about the VerifyContainer function to our Product Management group for future consideration.

Thanks!

TSShark
          FileMaker, Inc.