Summary

VIew is different on windows than Ipad or Macintosh

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

Developing on a windows pc for a ipad app. It is a remotely hosted file.

If I use a large text box with multiple lines or carriage returns in it a large discrepancy is created between the layouts on on PC and ipad.

in order to develop I am looking at the ipad while I rearrange objects on the PC.

In order to have the text "email" and the email field next to each other on the ipad I have to literally center the word "email" over the field on my Windows laptop.

Similarly the arrow and home buttons at the top of the screen appear nicely on the ipad or on a mac laptop, but show large white cutouts around them on the windows view.

All objects have the default locking to the top and left of the display. The area of the view is already sized to be slightly less than the portrait view on the ipad.

Ipad is the only intended interface for this tool.

I am using one of the Touch themes, and am using arial which is in the list of ipad approved fonts.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a multiline text box on a layout and try to arrange fields over it so they line up with some of the text.

Look at it on a windows machine, and on filemaker go.

Workaround

The discrepancy is smallest closest to the top left corner of the text box.

Screenshot description:

I have attached the screenshot from the Ipad.
Example file:

The vertical line of numbers is one text box.

On my PC I put the field boxes next to #s:  1,16,17,18,19,20,21
On the Ipad view you can see that the field boxes are no longer next to those numbers, and the number 21 is even 90% cutoff.

This is making it tough to develop needless to say. Phone support insists this is a development issue related to locking the auto-sizing feature, that does not seem correct to me.

This issue occurs even when placing another single line text box next to a multi line text box, they no longer line up properly. This makes me suspect it has something to do with the spacing between the lines in the text box being interpreted differently by the different operating systems.

Please let me know if you have any advice.

My ticket # is 130816-000412 .

photo.PNG

Outcomes