7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2015 12:30 PM by philmodjunk

Viewing portrait photo inserted via camera takes up to 1 minute to show on FM Go 14, Windows FMS 14

Jeremiah_Hammond

Summary

Viewing portrait photo inserted via camera takes up to 1 minute to show on FM Go 14, Windows FMS 14

Product

FileMaker Go

Version

Go 14.0.1, FileMaker Server 14.0.1.204

Operating system version

iOS 8.3 (iPhone 5s...also have problem on iPad Air 1 and 2), Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard

Description of the issue

Viewing a photo by tapping on it in Go and selecting View should be almost instantaneous when the FileMaker Server is local. But it takes a very long time (30-60 seconds) on a portrait photo that was taken via the camera, if the file is hosted on a Windows FMS. Mac FMSes are fine, and having the file locally on the iOS device works fine too.

I've also had inserting a portrait photo via the camera take a very long time as well, but I can't reproduce it with the steps below. Can only reproduce viewing being slow.

Steps to reproduce the problem

1. Create a new FileMaker file
      2. Create a container field and place it on the layout
      3. Upload the file to a FileMaker Server that's on Windows. The problem doesn't happen on a Mac FMS.
      4. Open the file in FileMaker Go.
      5. Create a new record and then tap into the container field. Press Camera
      6. Take a photo in portrait orientation. Press Use Photo.
      7. Tap on the container field and press View. It should take a very long time to open, roughly 30-60 seconds.

Expected result

The photo should open up instantaneously.

Actual result

Photo takes 30-60 seconds to open.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

None.

Configuration information

I've also had the problem in FileMaker 13, same sort of setup: Go 13, FMS 13 on Windows.

Workaround

Four that I've found:

1. Take all photos in landscape orientation

2. Script photo insert with Insert from Device using the Camera, and use Large resolution instead of Full

3. Host the file on a Mac FMS

4. Use the file locally.