Visual Spell Checking does not work in a specific file

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11v5; 12v5; 13v3

Operating system version

Any

Description of the issue

I have a solution that was originally developed in FM 8. It has been updated to .fmp12 format. Visual Spell Checking does not work for all fields, and in any version of FileMaker from 11-13. The "Do not apply visual spell-checking" box is not checked.

I have ran file recovery and the recovered file still does not work.

I have checked and un-checked the "Do not apply visual spell-checking" box with exiting Layout mode in between each.

Is there any help FileMaker can provide?

• 1. Re: Visual Spell Checking does not work in a specific file
          philmodjunk

I have ran file recovery and the recovered file still does not work.

This won't be a happy thought to consider, but...

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
          3.           Recover does not detect all problems
          5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).

• 2. Re: Visual Spell Checking does not work in a specific file
            TSGal

Nick Meecham:

Thank you for your post.

To verify this issue only occurs with this file., create a new file with one table and one Text field.  Go into File Options, click the Spelling tab and uncheck "indicate questionable words with special underline".  Click OK, go into Browse Mode, add a record, and enter an incorrect spelling into the Text field.  Does the underline appear?

Assuming this works correctly, open your original file, make sure "Indicate questionable words with special underline" is unchecked, create a NEW layout and place one of the Text fields on the new layout.  Go to Browse Mode, and edit the current record and add an incorrect spelling to the end of the entry.  Does this display a red underline?  If not, then the original layout may be the issue.  Move the fields from the other layout to the new layout.  On the other hand, if the red underline appears, I would like to see a clone of the file so I can determine why this is failing.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Visual Spell Checking does not work in a specific file
              oesupport

I got it working again. Here is what I did to make it work:

Uncheck "Indicate questionable words with special underline"

Close FileMaker

Open File

Check "Indicate questionable words with special underline"

Close FileMaker

Open File