Summary

Voice to text using FM GO 13?

Product

FileMaker Go

Version

Operating system version

iOS

Description of the issue

FMP 13 and FMP 13 GO - trying to enter voice to text data on an iPad into a text field using the new INSERT FROM DEVICE script command results in error 413.

Does GO 13 not support voice to get?

Is the INSERT FROM DEVICE script step only for recording sound?

Expected result

voice to text

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Specified field has inappropriate field type

Workaround

In order to have voice to text entered, you have to click the microphone button on the keyboard screen.

• 1. Re: Voice to text using FM GO 13?
          philmodjunk

I've been able to tap a text field, tap the microphone button in the keyboard and then dictate text into the text field. I didn't need any extra scripting.

• 2. Re: Voice to text using FM GO 13?
            WhitPorter

Thanks for your reply, PMJ!  Yes, what you describe definitely works.  But I'm trying to avoid the keyboard pop up and the extra tap for the mic button.  I want a scripted button that goes directly to the specified text field and opens the microphone.  The new INSERT FROM DEVICE seems like it should do just that, but I get that error message (413).

One step forward, two steps back, eh?

• 3. Re: Voice to text using FM GO 13?
              philmodjunk

So far, I've only come across mention of Insert From Device as a new way to scan a barcode without needing a third party app...

Checking FileMaker help indicates that input from the microphone can only be inserted into a container field so I don't think that this was ever intended for audio to text transcription.

• 4. Re: Voice to text using FM GO 13?
                WhitPorter

Thanks again for looking.  Actually, this is what FM Help says:

Options 

•

Select Specify target field to specify a container field. You can also specify a text field for bar codes. If no field is specified, the currently active field is used, if it is a container field or text field.

So it appears they do intend for it to be used with a text field.  But not, apparently in conjunction with the microphone.  This seems like a no brainer for a feature, though, doesn't it?

• 5. Re: Voice to text using FM GO 13?
                  philmodjunk

Better read the whole help entry. Note that it says "you can also specify a text field for bar codes"

And please note the introductory description:

In FileMaker Go, enters content into a container field from the following sources: music library, photo library, camera, video camera, microphone, signature. Enters content into a container field or text field from a bar code source.

No where in this help entry is there any reference to inserting into a text field except when scanning a barcode.

• 6. Re: Voice to text using FM GO 13?
                    WhitPorter

Yep, you're correct.  I did see that, but thought if they were using text fields AND using the mic, they would be doing something besides bar codes with those text fields.  I guess not.  Does that make any sense to you?

If there was only a way to turn the mic on other than clicking the mic button on the keypad pop up.

Thanks very much for your help.  I see you are incredibly helpful and generous with your time on this forum.  The world needs more of folks like you.

Whit Porter

• 7. Re: Voice to text using FM GO 13?
                      philmodjunk

But there is no example in the help file where Microphone and a text field are specified in the same script step... The only examples shown for the microphone would be for recording audio into a container field.