Web clips created with AppMaker no longer work in iOS7

Product

FileMaker Go

Version

Operating system version

IOS7

Description of the issue

Web clips created with AppMaker will no longer work as under ios6

you have to add iOS7 to the value list, after this, the newly transferred webclip will open a FMGo DB. But: If that DB is open, the webclip will 'hang' in Safari, a blank page will remain until one closes that blank page manually.
      if the blank page was manually closed / or the FMGo app was closed, webclips will work again

Steps to reproduce the problem

Add iOS 7 to the value list in AppMaker
      Create a profile
      Transfer that profile to the ios device
      Click the icon -> opens the DB
      Switch to another app
      Click the icon again -> dialog box appears, asking if opening the link in FMGo, but does nothing

Expected result

Guess what (-:

Actual result

Blank page in safari

Workaround

Manually close the blank page or close the DB

• 1. Re: Web clips created with AppMaker no longer work in iOS7
          Benjamin Fehr

some of the experiences and conclusions are posted here:

https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/125837#125837

• 2. Re: Web clips created with AppMaker no longer work in iOS7
            Markus Schneider

Yes, I know - one of the other threads here was marked as 'solved'. I just wanted to keep clear, that there is something not working as before...

• 3. Re: Web clips created with AppMaker no longer work in iOS7
              Benjamin Fehr

TSGal / TSFalcon:

This issue is not solved! Please have this and the conclusions from this postings forwarded to Dev. Dept.:

https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/125837#125837

• 4. Re: Web clips created with AppMaker no longer work in iOS7
                MedicInMe

Depending on your requirements there are other options. For the Mac OS you can download and install OS X Server. Inside contains a module called the profile manager. This module allows you to do several things.

First you can create a configuration profile for icons and other settings pertinent to your FM database. 

Next you can enroll devices (mdm/mobile device management) to push automatic updates of the configuration profiles to devices that are enrolled. There are 2 ways to accomplish this. One is to generate a generic enrollment profile and then send to all your users. Each device will be enrolled. You can create profiles for each device or for a group of devices. The other option is to use an open or active directory and allow users to login to the system and enroll their devices automatically and assign them to each individual user. If you have the need to configure certain users devices with specific configurations you can. 

Apple also has the iPhone configuration utility which will allow you to create configuration profiles and send them to users. The downfall of this option is when you have to update profiles you need to send out to each user or gather devices and swap the profiles yourself. I used this option before switching to OS X Server. Now any changes to profiles are almost instantly updated to the devices. 

Another advantage to the MDM solution in the profile manager is you give an administrator the ability to remotely lock or wipe a device. You also give the end user the same ability with their login. If they lose their device they can remotely lock or wipe the device preventing data from being stolen. 

If you would like more info I can provide some assistance. I have been perfecting this over the past 6 months and have tried all the different options out there. Feel free to contact. 

• 5. Re: Web clips created with AppMaker no longer work in iOS7
                  Markus Schneider

for local files, AppMaker works in some way,

- local FM-Apps will appear as 'Apps' with icons, double-clickable

- the Apps will not show up  in 'App-switching'

- IMHO this will not work with files hosted on FMS

I don't believe that installing OSX Server is a solution.. not everyone is running OSX (and those who are won't install a software without a need or knowledge for that). The configuration utility is a no-go for me since the first version for iOS7 left my iPad in the maintainance-state because as I wanted it to install a profile, it talled me 'installing a profile' for 15 minutes - then I stopped that process. Unfortunately, it was on the way to install the iOS update without telling me anything about that.. sorry, that's really a no-go. I never update a system without a backup - and that happenend at that time.

I personally don't care if this issue is solved or not in the current release - I won't use that thing any more...

• 6. Re: Web clips created with AppMaker no longer work in iOS7
                    MedicInMe

Hello Markus

Installing OS X Server is only on 1 Mac machine. It would be a machine managed by you or the database administrator. It would not be installed on any of your end users machines.

The automatic updates from OS X Server do not have anything to do with the iOS system or iOS updates. The automatic updates only pertain to changes you make to the configuration profile. The configuration profile can be as simple as only web clips to as complicated as settings for all sorts of services like VPN, Wifi, Calendar, Contacts, Certificates, and much more. 

I have done extensive testing and implementation with OS X Server and the profile and it has worked very well for the Mac and iOS world. It has made implementing our databases very easy and simple for the end users. It also has the ability to automatically send apps to the device which has helped for users that do not have filemaker installed. It is as simple as I have been able to make the process. I have not run into any issue with this system.

I am not sure about the configuration utility. I used it before switching to OS X Server. The way I used the iPhone configuration utility just to create configuration profiles to email. I ran into too many issues and decided to find a better solution.

I have not worked with windows icons at this point though will probably need to figure this out within the next couple months.

• 7. Re: Web clips created with AppMaker no longer work in iOS7
                      Benjamin Fehr

Actually, there's no way to prevent devices to perform updates. Accidentally or on purpose.

I don't like it either but I deal with the fact that my solution must be prepared for every upcoming OS. 

• 8. Re: Web clips created with AppMaker no longer work in iOS7
                        Markus Schneider

just to make one thing clear:

- iTunes asks before updating, at least on my machines at that time

- the configurator asked as well - as I tried the second time. It just did _not_ tell anything at the first time

- all I need is to know that an update is ready -> then I have to backup my FikeMaker Go Data...

btw: AppMaker 1.04 serves my needs - this thread was created at the time when AppMaker 1.03 was the current version

(-: