Summary

Web publishing does not display PDF

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

Web publishing does not automatically display PDF files. It seems to me that it should, but maybe that is just not possible?

Steps to reproduce the problem

Enable web publishing in a database which includes a PDF container field.

Expected result

Was hoping to view the PDF.

Actual result

Field displays a file name link (in my case temp.pdf) to click on. The PDF is then downloaded and can be viewed in Adobe Reader.

• 1. Re: Web publishing does not display PDF
          TSGal

Pecos:

Thank you for your post.

A PDF file inserted into a Container field depends only on the OS it was inserted.  It does not depend on the method of insertion (as a Picture or as PDF).  If the PDF file was inserted under Windows, then the PDF displays as a link in Instant Web Publishing.  If the PDF file was inserted under Mac OS X, then the PDF displays as a static picture in Instant Web Publishing.  This behavior is the same for FileMaker Pro 11 and FileMaker Pro 12.

Moving the file to a different platform will not make a difference, as it retains how the PDF file was inserted.  Therefore, if you insert the PDF file under Mac OS X, and then move the database file to Windows, then the PDF file will display as a image in Instant Web Publishing.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.