Web Publishing Engine

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Advanced Server 11

Operating system version

Windows 2008 Enterprise

Description of the issue

Attempts to start web publishing engine throw the following error: The Web Publishing Engine is not available. To configure, please start the Web Publishing Engine first.

-I have tried to manually start the WPE however this does not fix the issue.

-I have tried disabling and re-enabling WPE and this does not fix the issue

-I have run a repair on FileMaker Server from Add/Remove Programs and run into a corrupt install message.

-My next attempt will be to backup all the data, and VM, then remove FileMaker Server, rename the FileMaker Server Folder (C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server)then download FileMaker Server Advanced 11 from FileMaker.com, enter the our license info, return dbs to Filemaker..

Is there any other way to address this issue?  If in the future WPE breaks again, is the fix to reinstall FileMaker Server?

• 1. Re: Web Publishing Engine
          TSGal

Robert Cenci:

Thank you for your post.

Which version of FileMaker Server Advanced 11 are you using?  If you aren't using the latest update (11.0v3), then please download it through Knowledge Base Article #9283:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9283

The Article also mentions that the Web Publishing Engine could be unresponsive when using Instant Web Publishing.

If you are already running FileMaker Server Advanced 11.0v3, and manually starting Web Publishing Engine does not fix the issue (assuming this is also on the same machine), then you may have to restart FileMaker Server.  You should not have to reinstall.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Web Publishing Engine
            RobertCenci

Yeah, I already ran the update..

FileMaker: FileMaker Server 11 Advanced (11.0.3.309)

I think the fact that I tried to run a repair on the software leads me to believe that a clean removal and reinstall is the only alternative..

• 3. Re: Web Publishing Engine
              TSGal

Robert Cenci:

I agree with your advice.  If you ran a repair, then the operating system may have also been compromised.  Move your database files outside of the FileMaker Server folder, and then perform a "clean" removal and reinstallation of FileMaker Server.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Web Publishing Engine
                RobertCenci

I will close and move the database files outside of the Filemaker server folder first..

So when I remove, can I rename the C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server directory so it installs in a new directory if needed?

Also, can I download the trial version of FileMaker Server Advance 11 and install that since I don't have a media cd?  Then I can plug in our serial key..

Are there any more steps to this process?

thanks for your help!!