Summary

Web viewer and IE9 SVG pages

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7 64-Bit

Description of the issue

Trying to view webpage with SVG does not display the SVG. If the page is opened in IE9 everything displays properly.

I have tried uninstalling IE9 and all FM components. Reinstalling IE9 and FM components and I still get the same results. I have have tried this on two Win7 64-bit machines and one Win7 32-bit machine.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Load http://www.w3schools.com/svg/tryit.asp?filename=trysvg_myfirst into web viewer. The page will load but the circle will not be drawn. Open the page in IE9 and the circle will be drawn.

Expected result

The circle should appear in the web viewer.

Actual result

The page loads without the SVG circle.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

None.

Workaround

None.

• 1. Re: Web viewer and IE9 SVG pages
          cstowell@crown-point.com

Do these forums get answered at all any more? Should I be posting somewhere else? I don't think I am asking for a whole lot here. I made the test as simple as possible.

• 2. Re: Web viewer and IE9 SVG pages
            philmodjunk

It takes a while to get a response to report an issue posts unfortunately. Late last year, they (FileMaker Techs) were over a month behind in responding, but have since caught up a lot, but you still aren't likely to get a same day response from them to every post made here.

• 3. Re: Web viewer and IE9 SVG pages
              user15307

Craig Stowell,

Thank you for posting.

I have been able to replicate this issue in Windows; it does work as expected in Mac OS X.

I have sent your post to our Development and Testing departments for further review and confirmation, and will keep you updated as information becomes available to me.

TSTuatara
              FileMaker, Inc.
              • 4. Re: Web viewer and IE9 SVG pages
                philmodjunk

TsTuatara,

Can you confirm that this is the case (as I expect) for all versions of windows from xp to vista to 7?

• 5. Re: Web viewer and IE9 SVG pages
                  cstowell@crown-point.com

IE9 32Bit (default for Win7 32 and 64 systems) is the first to support SVG so it won't work in XP without the Adobe plug-in (works fine with the plug-in). You can force the viewer tp load pages using Google Chrome Frame plug-in but it didn't seem very stable to me. I got a fair amount of white screen viewers which require FM to be restarted to clear.

• 6. Re: Web viewer and IE9 SVG pages
                    user15307

PhilModJunk,

I should have been more detailed in my reply. It is important to note that the Web Viewer is not a browser, but rather uses the WebKit layout engine to render the pages. The implementations of this vary on different platforms, as evidenced in this case by the results passing Scalable Vector Graphics language to the Web Viewer on Windows 7.

As Craig Stowell noted, the support of SVC has been evolving in popular browsers, and only recently in those on Microsoft Windows.  

The expected result that ---

"A test SVG that works in IE9 should also appear in the Web Viewer"

--- is spurious in that the adoption of some standards in a web browser doesn't automatically apply to the operating systems' WebKit implementation.

So, yes, the FileMaker Pro 11 Web Viewer will not render SVC on any Windows version at this time.

Just sayin'...

TSTuatara

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: Web viewer and IE9 SVG pages
                      philmodjunk

Thank you for the clarification. Fortunately, I won't need to update my entries in the Known Bug List as I went forward on the assumption that this would not work for any of these versions as the web kit is likely very similar for each.

• 8. Re: Web viewer and IE9 SVG pages
                        DanShilstone

Had this problem today and just solved it. TSTuatara's info is incorrect: FMP (unfortunately) does NOT use the WebKit engine in Windows. It uses the layout engine of the currently installed version of Internet Explorer, BUT it defaults to using IE7 Compatibility View. To override this, add <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge" > immediately under your opening <head> tag to force it to use the latest IE layout engine. Replace "edge" with 10 or 9 or 8 if you want to render like a specific IE version, rather than just the latest available.

Of course, this assumes you have access to the source code of the document you are trying to view. When I was hunting down this solution, what I read on msdn made it sound like developers can control what layout standards the embedded IE will use by default, so hopefully we will see a future release of FMP that updates the Web Viewer to render all pages using the current IE version's standards.