web viewer issue with ALT GR key

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12 and 13

Operating system version

windows, all versions.

Description of the issue

the ALT GR key does not work when trying to enter characters into a website's input box that is displayed inside a webviewer.

This is a known issue since version 12 according to this post (German): http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/ac475de734

I've also come across another post in a French forum (with the same issue).

I just tried version 13 trial and I can confirm this problem persists. It has the same issue with latin american keyboards.

In the case of latin american keyboards this is pretty severe issue because we use the ALT GR + Q key combination to display the "@" symbol. So, users cannot enter the @ symbol.

Just imagine: users cannot login or enter their email inside a webviewer!

Excuse my desperation, but I cannot believe this has not been fixed during accross 2 major versions.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a web viewer object inside a filemaker 12 or 13 solution.
      Put a default address such as "mail.yahoo.com".
      Go to browse mode and try to enter ALT GR + Q key combination inside the yahoo input box (using spanish latin american keyboard). It should enter the @ symbol. It doesnt.

Try to enter other characters using ALT GR. They won't work.
      Try using a German or French keyboard, it's been reported a similar issue too.
      Try using a US-International keyboard layout. It uses ALT GR too, it should give you similar issues.

This is a problem introduced in version 12. In version 11 we did not have this problem.

Expected result

@ character is displayed

Actual result

no character is displayer

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

no error or notification

Configuration information

this should happen under any configuration, on all windows machines running fm12 or 13

Workaround

no acceptable work arounds.

• 1. Re: web viewer issue with ALT GR key
          TSGal

rigman:

Thank you for your post.

At first glance, I do not see this issue ever being reported.

I have sent your post to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: web viewer issue with ALT GR key
            rigman

Thank you for your reply.

There is a post in the German forum which I included a link to in my original post. Dates back to 2012 where TS_Pilatus from Filemaker had replied it was a bug. I've ran a translator since my German is not good and there it is talked about a similar issue for German keyboards (the original poster said they can't enter the @ character).

I've looked on Google for an image of a German keyboard layout and they happen to have the @ located in the Q key (just like in the Latin American keyboards). So we are both suffering the same issue here.

And yes it's amazing not many people are reporting about this.

• 3. Re: web viewer issue with ALT GR key
              rigman

Hello Filemaker, has there been any progress regarding this issue?

I noticed your latest software update from November 20th, as posted here:

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/950daeca62

is a fix included there?

Please do note that this issue is pending since version 12. In version 11 we did not have this problem.

• 4. Re: web viewer issue with ALT GR key
                TSGal

rigman:

This issue was not changed in the latest FileMaker Pro 13.0v4 update.  Looking at the notes from Testing and Development, it appears ALT GR + Q can insert "@" into dialog edit boxes.  Only Web Viewer has the problem in the HTML web page that the Web Viewer renders, not in the web address edit box  (text view) of Web Viewer setup dialog. It works fine when inputting “@” symbol in “text view” controls via ALT GR + Q.

The information has been sent to Development for additional review.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: web viewer issue with ALT GR key
                  rigman

Hello and sorry to be such a pain asking for the status of this issue again, but this is an old issue that was working in Filemaker 11 and now it's broken (versions 12 and 13).

As TSGAL pinpoints the problem, that is entirely correct: "Only Web Viewer has the problem in the HTML web page that the Web Viewer renders, not in the web address edit box  (text view) of Web Viewer setup dialog. "

Which makes it specially bad considering there are solutions (mine included) which use the webviewer to render pages that the end-user has to interact with. Sometimes these interactions involve the user entering the @ character, or other special characters dependent on the ALT GR key on international keyboards. (again for example: login on a webpage using their email, or registering on a site that requires their email). Hope you see my point here.

I can't stress enough the importance of addressing this problem because one cannot just tell your entire user base to copy and paste the @ character from somewhere else, when on previous versions this wasn't happening.

There is also a much worse situation for us developers: This needs to be addressed because for some of us, going back to filemaker 11 (where it used to work) is not an option. (We'd have to redevelop the applications as you currently don't offer a way to convert back the fm12 format).

Many hours and hard work has been spent developing on your platform only find out that such issue has been overlooked over 2 major versions. I really do hope you are addressing this. I believe you owe it to your loyal customers and your developer community, and to yourself.

Filemaker is a great product but don't forget us your developers.

• 6. Re: web viewer issue with ALT GR key
                    TSGal

rigman:

Thank you for the additional comments.  I have added your comments to the original report.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: web viewer issue with ALT GR key
                      philmodjunk

An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.

• 8. Re: web viewer issue with ALT GR key
                        rigman

Today I tried the new Filemaker 15.

And this issue has not been resolved...

What a dissapointment Filemaker! VERY DISSAPOINTED.

Versions 12,13,14 and now 15 BROKEN for international (at least spanish) keyboards using "Alt Gr" key combinations.

(Our users can't even enter a simple email address in web view because '@' character isn't displayed in webview).

Will there ever be a fix for this??? Please be honest. This request entered the bug list OVER A YEAR AGO.

And it's been a known issue for YEARS.

• 9. Re: web viewer issue with ALT GR key
                          TSGal

rigman:

I can confirm the issue was not addressed in FileMaker Pro 15.

I can't answer your question, but let me give you some insight.  First, on the plus side, your issue is still open (not closed), which means Development is aware of the issue and they have assigned it a priority level.  I know issues that cause a crash or cause data loss are given the highest priority.  Unfortunately, I don't have visibility into what issues are being addressed and the prioritization, so I cannot speculate if your issue will be addressed in an update.  When I do receive any information, I will post it.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: web viewer issue with ALT GR key
                            rigman

Hi TSGal

Thank you for your reply. I understand what you're saying.

However, the timelilne for fixing these issues is extremely low. Snail's pace and totally unnaceptable. Upper management should have been on top of things like this long time ago...

At this time I'm considering leaving the platform entirely.

Weighting all my options as investment in developing/porting to another platform is not an easy choice.

At least I know someone is listening. So I thank you for helping me bring this to their attention.

Robert.

• 11. Re: web viewer issue with ALT GR key
                              monkeybreadsoftware

I can reproduce this problem here on German Windows 10 with FileMaker 12, 13, 14 and 15.

Just a new project, a webviewer and google search loaded. I can't enter @ into the search field.

This is really embarrassing to explain a customer why they should use FileMaker to do databases and automate some web workflows when the user can't login by entering his name & password for the website.

And name is often the email address.

Please give this a bit priority to an engineer can check where the alt-gr key press is filtered and not routed to the webviewer.

• 12. Re: web viewer issue with ALT GR key
                                TSGal

monkeybreadsoftware:

Thank you for your post.

I have attached your comments to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will post again.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: web viewer issue with ALT GR key
                                  monkeybreadsoftware

With MBS Plugin, we can now provide a workaround.

The new function Webview.PressKey in our upcoming 6.2 release will send a key press to the webviewer. Works fine here on Mac and Windows. So we can send a "@" key.

So you can create a @ button to enter the key for user.

Or use our hotkey feature to capture the alt-q press on Windows (or whatever key you need) and perform the function above to insert @ for user.

• 14. Re: web viewer issue with ALT GR key
                                    TSGal

All:

This issue has been addressed in FileMaker Pro 16.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next