8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2009 6:57 PM by stephensammon

Web Viewer Not Working Properly

stephensammon

Summary

Web Viewer Not Working Properly

Description of the issue

Hello, I sent this message out on the FM Forum and it appears no one has a fix for this problem.   I am using FM10 developer and have a problem with my web viewer displaying. The viewer was displaying properly until recently, I tested the viewer and noticed this problem. I get the following message; (“Still loading slow?” Try basic HTML). The page does not load. I tested this out on other computers on my network and have the same problem.I am using Google Maps (US) with the required, address, city, state, and optional zip code fields. I copied the web address I am using from the web viewer setup; ("http://local.google.com/maps?" & "q=" & /*Address=*/ ${K-9 Reports}::street & "," & /*City=*/ ${K-9 Reports}::city & "," & /*State=*/ ${K-9 Reports}::state & "," & /*Zip Code=*/ ${K-9 Reports}::zip & "," & /*Country=*/ "").I am using Windows Vista and have Internet Explorer set as my default web browser. This must be some type of bug in FM10, because I accessed the internet via IE web browser and typed: http://local.google.com/maps? inside the address bar and accessed Google Maps with no problems. I entered my address inside the search box and it worked correctly. The map appeared on the right side which gave me the desired options, traffic, satellite, & terrain. I got the same result when I tested the above described problem out on Windows XP and Windows Vista operating systems. I also tried it on several work stations at home and at my work place and still had the same result.I am using FM10 and FM10 Advanced on Windows XP & Vista operating systems. 

• 1. Re: Web Viewer Not Working Properly
          TSGal

sammyss:

Thank you for your post.

We make calls to the web services on Windows, so it should work similarly to Microsoft Internet Explorer.  This has nothing to do with a default browser setting.

I went to a Windows Vista computer, launched Internet Explorer, entered http://local.google.com/maps and it worked correctly.  I then created a Web Viewer, and set the URL the same, and it displayed properly.  In my table "Test", I created the following fields:

Address (Text)

City (Text)

State (Text)

Zip (Text)

Into the first record, I entered the address for FileMaker, Inc.

5201 Patrick Henry Drive

Santa Clara, CA 95054

I then changed the Web Viewer to the following:

"http://local.google.com/maps?" & q=" & Test::Address & "," & Test::City & "," & Test::State & "," & Test::Zip & "," & "USA"

I went into Browse Mode and the web viewer displayed.

It may be because $ signifies a variable, and the brackets around {K-9 Reports} may also be causing a problem.  Just refer to the table directly and field.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Web Viewer Not Working Properly
            stephensammon

Thank you for your response.

I tried your suggestion and removed the brackets and $ variable symbol before each table. I got an error message, "the specified table cannot be found." I tried a few other options with no success. This problem really baffles me, I set up a web viewer for the MapQuest website and used the same table and fields as I did before and everything worked out fine. I would use this site instead of the Google Maps but I just want a close-up view of the map. 

I went back and set up the webviewer to Google Maps as I did before and entered one field at a time with the $ variable and brackets included. I tested the viewer and discovered that it works fine with ONE field included in the K-9 Reports table. If I add an additional field, the web viewer does not work properly and I get the same message, "Still loading slow?" Try basic HTML." This must signify a problem with how the string of letters & symbols is set up, and not properly including the additional fields in the table. I am not familiar with language and hope you can help me out on this problem.

• 3. Re: Web Viewer Not Working Properly
              TSGal

sammyss:

If your table name has brackets and "$" symbols, then you may want to consider editing the table name and removing those special characters.  Then, you can substitute the correct information into the Web Viewer.  Using your example, the link would be:

"http://local.google.com/maps?" & "q=" & K-9 Reports::street & "," & K-9 Reports::city & "," & K-9 Reports::state & "," & K-9 Reports::zip & "," & ""

Let me know if you are still having difficulty.  If so, I will need the name of the table as well as the field names.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Web Viewer Not Working Properly
                stephensammon

Hello,

I tried your suggestion and changed the table name from “K-9 Reports” to “k9reports’” without spaces or special characters. I tested the web viewer out and It did not recognize the field names in the table, so I just went with the view auto inserted when I set up the viewer including the; (/*Address=*/), (*City=*/), (*State*/), and (*Zip Code=*), and I still had no success.
                The name of my table is: “k9reports.”
                The involved fields: “street,” “city,” “state,” and “zip.”
                All of the fields are formatted as “Text” fields with storage option set at minimal, “auto create index as needed.”

This is the formatted result I used after you last post.
                Google Maps (US) web viewer setup

"http://local.google.com/maps?" & "q=" & /*Address=*/ k9reports::street & "," & /*City=*/ k9reports::city & "," & /*State=*/ k9reports::state & "," & /*Zip Code=*/ k9reports::zip & "," & /*Country=*/ ""

I think I found something significant. I tried several field combinations in the web viewer and found out the web viewer worked with two fields included and only these two fields, (“city,” and “state”). These fields do not have any numbers included in the records whereas the “address” and “zip” code fields do have numbers included. I tested this out and entered an address without a number associated with it and it worked in the web viewer, showing the satellite, map, & traffic views appropriately. Now I need to know how to have this recognize the address number in the address field.

I do appreciate all of your time & effort on this problem

Steve     

• 5. Re: Web Viewer Not Working Properly
                  TSGal

sammyss:

Anything between /* and */ are comments and ignored.  If you remove them, you'll see the same as what I sent you.

I have numbers in my Address and Zip fields.  No problem.

Try entering the information manually.  This will let you know if it works.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Web Viewer Not Working Properly
                    stephensammon

I have done this and get the same result, would it be possible for me to send you the entire file to look at first hand? 

Thank You

• 7. Re: Web Viewer Not Working Properly
                      TSGal

sammyss:

First, I removed your email address from your last post.  We take privacy very seriously here, and since this is a public board, we don't want to be responsible for people scraping web pages for email addresses.

Yes, I'll be glad to look at your file.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 8. Re: Web Viewer Not Working Properly
                        stephensammon

TSGal,

I would like to thank you for all of your time, assistance, and timely responses with the web viewer problem that I encountered. To my surprise I went back to the program today and once again began my trial & error testing with the web viewer. I was very surprised to say the least when I discovered the web viewer was working properly again. I made format changes to the web viewer from your last post and tested it out and discovered the web viewer displayed properly. Then I went back to my original program and tested the web viewer, I was surprised to discover that this web viewer was also working properly, including the satellite, terrain & traffic options.
                        I have an older version of Adobe Acrobat and a new Adobe reader program installed on the involved operating systems. I tried printing a map in PDF format using “Cute PDF Writer” from the web viewer and noticed that the map did not display or print properly, it displayed the same was that I described originally, a map view with no graphics. Maybe the Adobe software had something to do with the problem, not sure, but I am glad the web viewer is working properly now.
                        Sincerely,

Steve