1 2 3 4 Previous Next 45 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2015 7:41 PM by davidav

Webdings

LaRetta_1

Summary

Webdings & Wingdings will not render in 13

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

OSX 10.9

Description of the issue

Webding and Wingding fonts will not render in 13.

Converting files from fp7 to 12 maintains the Webding font but converting from fp7 to 13 does not nor does converting from 12 to 13.  Even though the font still shows Webdings in Inspector, only alpha characters appear.  Changing to other themes, changing to different font then back, setting index to Default or Unicode ... nothing makes a difference ... Inspector shows Webdings but it will not render.

if I create a NEW 13 file, create a field then select Webdings, I get the following error:

"The selection contains fields whose storage option language is incompatible with the chosen font or text objects whose characters cannot be displayed by that font. The font will not be changed for these items.   Hold down Command and Option keys while choosing a font if you wish to override this protective action."

But doing so does not make a difference.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a new 13 file.  Set preferences font to synchronise with input.  Create new text field, add a record and type a 'g' into the field.  Change its label to Webding and CMD-OPTION the label when you get the error. Notice that the label does not switch to Webding.  Now do the same with the field.  It will not switch either.

If you now close this file and open it in 12, the label (which you had changed to Webding) DOES RENDER in browse mode but the field still will not.  But if you switch to layout mode and you have unchecked 'show sample data') then the field DOES RENDER Webding also in layout mode but never browse.

Expected result

An fp7 file which works with Webdings or an fmp12 file which works with Webdings should also work in 13.

Actual result

It is broken.  :-/

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

"The selection contains fields whose storage option language is incompatible with the chosen font or text objects whose characters cannot be displayed by that font. The font will not be changed for these items.   Hold down Command and Option keys while choosing a font if you wish to override this protective action."

Configuration information

rMBP OSX 10.9 FMPA 13.0v1 ETS

Workaround

None. And we need to be able to use this font.

• 1. Re: Webdings & Wingdings will not render in 13
          philmodjunk

On a Windows 7 platform with FileMaker 13.0v1, I opened the Known Bugs List Database--originally created in.FP7 format and now converted and open in FMP 13--same file format as FMP 12.

In layout mode, I created a text object on the layout and used configure/add more fonts to add the Webdings, Wingdings, Wingding 2 and Wingdings 3 fonts to the font list.

I then produced the text shown in the screen shot by selecting each of these fonts in turn and typing in text. So maybe this is a Mac only problem.

• 2. Re: Webdings & Wingdings will not render in 13
            LaRetta_1

Hi Phil, thank you for testing as well.  :-)

Since you did not replicate my test, I replicated yours instead and no, your example does not work for me (on Maverick).   I even reinstalled FMPA for Mac to be sure. 

• 3. Re: Webdings & Wingdings will not render in 13
              LaRetta_1

BTW, I realised ETS probably meant pre-release version so I uninstalled and reinstalled it with the release version.  I no longer get that error message when I select Webdings but even creating new file (with system reboot in between), I cannot make Webdings work.

• 4. Re: Webdings & Wingdings will not render in 13
                TSGal

LaRetta:

Thank you for your posts.

This is a design change by Apple for a Cocoa application.  This applies to Wingdings, Webdings BookShelfSymbol7, and perhaps other symbol fonts.  These fonts only define glyphs starting at Unicode value 61473 and up.  For example, Char (61473) will display a glyph.  Your standard alphanumeric characters will not translate to a valid value for these fonts.

Testing has reported that Microsoft Office 2011 installs its own set of fonts, and it appears to work as you expected.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Webdings & Wingdings will not render in 13
                  LaRetta_1

Thank you for responding.  I would hope this is published somewhere where people can see it since thousands of folks use these fonts to provide low-impact graphics and bar charts.  This is NOT a small thing particularly when it worked in 12.

I do not think I can expect every business we design for to install Microsoft Office 2011 just to display a font.  Can you at least see that this information gets posted in Knowledge Base so others are not blind-sided by it?  I know it isn't in KB since I searched for wasted hours looking for something which should have been made public to begin with.

Thanks again, TSGal.

• 6. Re: Webdings & Wingdings will not render in 13
                    philmodjunk

I will second LaRetta's concern here. These "dingbat" fonts have proved to be a very useful way to enhance FileMaker's user interface without needing to acquire or create graphic images and since they are text, it's easy to use them as layout text and use conditional formatting to manipulate them such as using a "tick" character to replicate the function of a check box interface but in more creative fashion.

This design limitation will both break that for people upgrading and it sets cross platform users up with a dilemma: They can use simply text based icons in their solution and produce something that is no longer cross platform compatible or they can spend more time and effort using other options in order to maintain cross platform compatibility.

And if they are unaware of this behavior change, they could produce a complex solution only to discover the issue when they test it on the other OS--having then to redo a lot of their design work.

• 7. Re: Webdings & Wingdings will not render in 13
                      philmodjunk

I realize that FMP Inc. does not consider this a bug, but I have added it to the list anyway since this bug like behavior is likely to trigger more reports of this issue and now we have it documented in the database and the bugs list threads.

An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.

• 8. Re: Webdings & Wingdings will not render in 13
                        Fred(CH)

I didn't understood very well where is the fault, Apple or FileMaker ?

But anyways, it is effectively very sad for all concerned developers and users, for the reasons just stated by Phil two posts ago, and moreover, since neither of both companies seem inclined to work on it.

en colère

Fred

• 9. Re: Webdings & Wingdings will not render in 13
                          TSGal

LaRetta (et al):

This issue was discovered during testing, submitted to Apple, and Apple responded.  Testing discovered that the fonts installed with Microsoft Office 2011 work.  I am not recommending everyone rush out and get Microsoft Office 2011.  I am only reporting what is available to me.

A Knowledge Base Article will eventually be written with this information.  When it is written, I will post that link here.

PhilModJunk - If you need the checkmark from the Wingdings font, the code is 61692 for the checkmark, and 61694 for the chackmark inside a checkbox.  That is, Char ( 61692 ) and Char ( 61694), respectively.

One option is to add 61425 to the code for each character, since 0 returns a code of 48.  For a field with one character, a possible calculation would be:   Char ( Code ( <field> ) + 61425 )

TSGal
                               FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Webdings & Wingdings will not render in 13
                            philmodjunk

If you need the checkmark from the Wingdings font, the code is 61692 for the checkmark, and 61694 for the chackmark inside a checkbox.  That is, Char ( 61692 ) and Char ( 61694), respectively.

If I wanted to put this text in a field or variable, that should work, but it doesn't enable me to put it on a layout as conditionally formatted text. So that helps, but it's still more "fiddling around" than was previously needed.

This issue was discovered during testing, submitted to Apple, and Apple responded.

But does that mean that FileMaker Inc. considers this a bug to be corrected?

• 11. Re: Webdings & Wingdings will not render in 13
                              TSGal

Fred:

Thank you for your post.

The issue is a combination of both FileMaker Pro and Apple, as Apple has made a design change that affects our ability to display the font.  The report is currently listed as "Open", which means the issue is still being discussed regarding how to proceed with this limitation.

TSGal
                                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Webdings & Wingdings will not render in 13
                                LaRetta_1

Thanks for the update, TSGal.  The most important thing now is that everyone using these techniques are made aware.  The KB article is at least one avenue so we appreciate it.

• 13. Re: Webdings & Wingdings will not render in 13
                                  TSGal

PhilModJunk:

My apologies.  I did not intend my post to be a long-term solution, but only to give you a "head start" with determining the current value.

It's not clear from the report if the decision is to return to a different text engine, provide a substitution, synthesize the font, calculate the symbol based on the platform and font being used, or some other action.

As more information becomes available, I will let everyone know.

TSGal
                                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Webdings & Wingdings will not render in 13
                                    philmodjunk

No apologies needed TSGal. I was just noting the limitations of using it as a work around. I'll update my current data to simply show this as open in the Known Bugs List instead of closed/By Design as it is at this moment.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next