Summary

WebDirect 'File Missing' when accessing an external data source

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

OS X

Description of the issue

We have a file on one server that is supposed to display certain fields that are stored in an external data source located on a different server on the same network.

It works fine within FMP but in Web Direct it shows 'File Missing'.

The same user name exists in both files and the permissions appear to be correct.

• 1. Re: WebDirect 'File Missing' when accessing an external data source
          TSGal

jshels:

Thank you for your post.

Is the external data source an Oracle database?  MySQL database?

When you access this from FileMaker Pro, is all data returned from the external source?

Any other information you can provide about the external data source may be helpful in narrowing down possible causes.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: WebDirect 'File Missing' when accessing an external data source
            jshels_1

It's another Filemaker 13 Server. I can send you a copy of the file if that helps.

• 3. Re: WebDirect 'File Missing' when accessing an external data source
              TSGal

jshels:

Thank you for the additional information.

Although FileMaker Pro can access FileMaker information on two different servers, this will not work with WebDirect.  FileMaker Server cannot act as a client to another server.  Also, WebDirect users are licensed to use one server, and Admin Console does not have a way to track a WebDirect user to show up on multiple FileMaker servers.  This functionality has never been supported from server side clients like ODBC, Instant Web Publishing, Customer Web Publishing, and now WebDirect.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: WebDirect 'File Missing' when accessing an external data source
                brammers

Im having a similar issue, but only using one server...

I have an Access Control solution that works great in FM12 and FM13.

I have created a separate solution to provide support purely to WebDirect users. I have added the External Data Source as I would do normally and created matching accounts / passwords in both files. The 'Web' version works fine in FileMaker Pro, but when I access it via WebDirect, i just get "File Missing" errors. I tested with a basic script to perform a find on a table linked via the EDS (which again works fine in FMP), but I get an error of "External Data Source could not be opened. (Not Found)" when trying exactly the same script in WebDirect.

Please help, this is driving me nuts.

Both databases are hosted on the same server.

• 5. Re: WebDirect 'File Missing' when accessing an external data source
                  TSGal

Ian Sanders:

Thank you for your post.

Does the second file have the WebDirect extended privilege enabled?  If so, make sure both files have the same privilege set with FileMaker WebDirect extended privilege.  If External file has an account name/password that is different than the main file, you will get an additional authentication screen to login to the external file.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: WebDirect 'File Missing' when accessing an external data source
                    brammers

Hi TSGal, thanks for the reply...

It was more an oversight on my part - I had File Access Authentication switched on as an extra security measure, as I am using a combination of the FileMaker Security, and my own Security system (so I can easily control access and permission within each sub-database etc).

I forgot to authorise the 'Web' portion of the Access Control system to allow it to communicate with the main Access Control database, therefore no data was being passed between the two.

All working now, so it's just a case of finishing the web section for the Access Control part, and then creating specific web versions of the other sub-databases.

Thanks again!

• 7. Re: WebDirect 'File Missing' when accessing an external data source
                      BenSuthers

Ok. I am having the same problem. I have a very simple solution using two files on FM Server. One file contacts media files, the other meta-data.

In WebDirect, the 2nd file (the media files) comes up as <File Missing>.

Works fine in FMPro.

Is this expected behaviour? If I'm building a web solution do I need to fold all the data structures into the same file?

• 8. Re: WebDirect 'File Missing' when accessing an external data source
                        kupietz

Ditto. This is completely killing an important project for me.

• 9. Re: WebDirect 'File Missing' when accessing an external data source
                          TSGal

kupietz:

Thank you for your post.

It's not 100% clear which issue you are having, so I'll make an assumption this is the same issue reported by BenSuthers.

Can you confirm the second file is configured for WebDirect?  Do you open the second file manually or via a script?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: WebDirect 'File Missing' when accessing an external data source
                            kupietz

Thanks so much for your response. I actually solved the problem on my own late last night. The problem is this:

Opening a new file in WebDirect uses a "virtual window". This means, when you call a script in an external file, if that script goes to a layout, you must first have a "new window" script step to create the invisble "virtual window".

There are two problems with this:
                            1.) It is not well documented. It took me several days of research to find this fact.
                            2.) Even bigger problem: If you fail to include the "new window" script step, the error you get is completely misleading... It tells you the external datasource couldn't be found! This isn't accurate, it creates the impression that the actual file was somehow completely inaccessible or missing. Yet, when you add the needed "new window" step in the external script, everything works as desired, indicated that the external datasource was accessible, and it even began to run the external script, it just needed a script step added inside the script.

I can't believe webdirect isn't smart enough to automatically assume the "new window" is needed in this situation... For us to have to insert a "new window" script step that doesn't actually create a new window (from the user's point of view) is very counterintuitive. And, aside from having to do that, the current "data source not found" error text when this happens makes the situation far worse... From a user's perspective, the current error is not only not helpful, it's actually misleading and makes it harder to figure out what the problem is. An error message that doesn't lead the user running in the wrong direction, trying to troubleshoot why a file "couldn't be found" in WebDirect, would be a much better choice. As a user, I'm disappointed to have lost about an entire workday's worth of time over such a counterintuitive and poorly-thought-out UX issue.... FileMaker is usually so much better than this.

Is this something you can report to FM Inc., or should I file a bug report or feature request myself?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: WebDirect 'File Missing' when accessing an external data source
                              user9259

This is extremely unfortunate;  and puts additional limits on WD that are unnecessary. I understand that Filemaker has to get paid; but that is applied to the end user (whatever server user signs on to). Please Filemaker Gods have mercy...

• 12. Re: WebDirect 'File Missing' when accessing an external data source
                                TSGal

user9259:

This is a limitation of the browser.  Please see the topic "Working with virtual windows" on page 18 of the FileMaker 15 WebDirect Guide:

https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/docs/15/en/fm15_webdirect_guide.pdf

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: WebDirect 'File Missing' when accessing an external data source
                                  user9259

This does not speak to the limitation of displaying data sources from seperate FMS deployments.

For Example:

I have data files on 1 FMS deployment; but I may want to use another host for the web d interface.

I can't do that...Works in client version; but not webdirect.

• 14. Re: WebDirect 'File Missing' when accessing an external data source
                                    azez

Hi

I have same problem.

it happen when i do the development on my pc and i upload it to fmserver.

But now it solved!...

if solution in a same server/Host,

1.File-->Manage-->External Data Source

2.Select related Data Source-->select "Edit"

3.Change path type "fmnet:/....." to file:....".

ex:"fmnet:/YourDomain.com.my/Contact" to "file:Contact"

maybe for same network u just change to "fileWin://....."

1 2 Previous Next