WebDirect does not render entire screen for a number of layouts

DSKatSCL

Summary

WebDirect does not render entire screen for a number of layouts

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

Internet Explorer 9,10,11 on Win 7 , Server running on Windows Server 2008R2 Enterprise

Description of the issue

Run a script to produce a summary report which normally works fine. This report has all the data on it. There 4 report layouts that use the data that is produced from this report.  After the report is run I try to move between layouts and sometimes the new layout renders properly, but most of the time if I move back and forth between these layouts WebDirect will stop rendering the layouts completely.  One of the report layouts contains detail data with a Body layout part and a Header, Sub summary, Grand Total Footer, and Footer parts, this one usually renders fine. The other 3 layouts Do Not have the Body part and are strictly summary reports. Header, Sub summary, Grand Total Footer, and Footer parts. two of these layouts are a subset of the data that is in the other 2 reports, fewer columns of data.  These are the layouts that will not render in WebDirect.  They render fine in FMP/FMPA all the time.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Open the file in IE 10/11 or Chrome Click on a button to run a report.  Click on another button to move to another layout view of the report, or Click on a different button to begin with that produces on of the other layouts first and then move back and forth between layouts.  The buttons originally just switched layouts, but I have also tried to do this where it runs a script to regenerate the reports each time it moves between layouts.  I get the same results either way.

Expected result

That WebDirect would render all line of the report layouts

Actual result

It only renders the first 3-4 Sub Summary lines and not the Grand total lines.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No Error Messages

Configuration information

I have tried this in IE 9, which renders any graphics, i.e. lines on the layout, but no numbers.

I have tried it in IE 10/11 and Chrome 34 and get the same results of only rendering the first 3-4 lines of 8 sub summary lines, and neither of the 2 grand total lines.

Workaround

None Found

FMPWD_Not_Rendering_layouts.png

• 1. Re: WebDirect does not render entire screen for a number of layouts
          DSKatSCL

Another little bit of information.  If I let it sit for a few minutes and then try to switch layouts, it works and will render the layouts just fine for about 2-3 switches, then only renders 2-4 lines again.

• 2. Re: WebDirect does not render entire screen for a number of layouts
            TSGal

DSKatSCL:

Thank you for your post.

Our Development and Testing departments are aware of slow performance with WebDirect when accessing a lot of records.  How many records are being summarized in your layout?  How many Summary fields are being displayed?

TSGal
                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: WebDirect does not render entire screen for a number of layouts
              DSKatSCL

There are only 8 - 15 records that are being summarized into 8 sub summary sections (layouts sorted by Facility [8 total facilities]), so there is very little data being summarized here.

One layout has 5 sub summary fields, 5 Grand summary fields and 5 fields in the Grand summary part that are filled in during the initial script that is run to get Year to Date data.  The other layout has the same 13 detail records being summarized, 9 sub summary fields, 9 grand summary fields, and 9 fields in the grand summary part that are filled in during the initial script to give YTD data.  This script is not normally rerun during layout changes, although I have tried it just switching between layouts and running a script generate the report on each layout.  I get the same results with only 2-4 of the 8 sub summary lines rendering on the layout. 

The Detail report with a body section seems to always render completely, just the 3 summary reports seem to have the rendering issue. Screen shot of detail report attached.  Screen shot of reports in first post.

• 4. Re: WebDirect does not render entire screen for a number of layouts
                TSGal

DSKatSCL:

Thank you for the information.

I know from previous posts that you cannot update to FileMaker Server 13.0v2 because there are some legacy applications that require Internet Explorer 9.

Do you have access to another server where you can load FileMaker Server 13.0v2?  If not, is it possible to send in a copy of the file with some relevant data so I can test it with FileMaker Server 13.0v2 to see if this issue also exists?  If so, check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: WebDirect does not render entire screen for a number of layouts
                  Fred(CH)

you cannot update to FileMaker Server 13.0v2 because there are some legacy applications that require Internet Explorer 9.

TSGal

I was not aware that Webdirect doest not support IE9 since FMS 13.0v2. But after visiting your online Tech specs, i saw that only IE 10 and IE 11 are mentioned as supported.

However, in the same online tech specs, for Admin Console, IE 9 and IE 10 are both supported but 11 even not mentioned.

Is that correct ?

All :

So sorry for this side-comment but it is hard to keep updated with the variety of configurations we must to live with...

Thanks, Fred

• 6. Re: WebDirect does not render entire screen for a number of layouts
                    DSKatSCL

TSGal.

I tried to upload a copy of the database file.  Not sure if will get to you.  I think the instrautions were incompletwe. There was no intractions in the "In the Subject..." section.

Where to send a copy of your database file

Please send a copy (or stripped down copy) of your database file to:

forumsupport@filemaker.com

In the Subject...

• 7. Re: WebDirect does not render entire screen for a number of layouts
                      TSGal

Fred:

You are correct.  In the initial documentation for FileMaker Server 13.0v1, we stated support for Internet Explorer 9 and 10.  The changes made to FileMaker Server 13.0v2 would no longer support Internet Explorer 9, so the documentation was changed to Internet Explorer 10 and 11.

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: WebDirect does not render entire screen for a number of layouts
                        TSGal

DSKatSCL:

Check your Inbox again at the top of this page.  I've copied and pasted the previous private message into a new private message.

TSGal
                             FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: WebDirect does not render entire screen for a number of layouts
                          TSGal

DSKatSCL:

Murphy's Law...  Your email with the file was just forwarded to me.

I will be able to look at your file later today.

TSGal
                               FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: WebDirect does not render entire screen for a number of layouts
                            TSGal

DSKatSCL:

I have opened your file, but you forgot to leave instructions.  I believe your first screen shot is executed by running the script "Monthyly and TYD HACs - Focus 5".  Correct?  And your last screen shot is executed by running the script "Monthly and YTD All HACs - Detail".  Correct?

With that said, I uploaded your file to FileMaker Server 13.0v1.

I first accessed the file remotely using FileMaker Pro 13.0v3 to make sure it was uploaded properly.

Next, I launched Internet Explorer 11 from a Windows machine, ran both scripts, and there was no issue.  On the same Windows machine, I accessed the file with Chrome 34, and no issue.

On another Windows 7 machine, I launched Internet Explorer 10, ran both scripts, and although it works, it was about twice as slow.

The original Windows 7 machine that had Internet Explorer 9 installed has been updated.  I'll have to locate another machine. Stay tuned.

On Mac OS X 10.9.3, I accessed the hosted file with both Safari 7.0.3 and Chrome 34.  No issues.  Although not supported, I used Firefox to access the file, and it was about the same speed as Internet Explorer 10 on the Windows 7 machine.

I'll post again once I find a machine with Internet Explorer 9.

TSGal
                                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: WebDirect does not render entire screen for a number of layouts
                              DSKatSCL

I have tried the reports in with IE 9, 10, 11; Chrome 34.

You mentioned testing in Firefox.  Is Firefox now a supported browser?  When ver 13 was released it was not shown as a supported browser.  If supported what version number of Firefox?  I was getting truncated data in fields when I tested Firefox with any file in FMP or FMPA 13 when it was first released.

(As a side note, did FMI make any changed to the software running this forum site.  I can no longer paste into this window with IE 11? I had to move to Chrome to send this update.  I can paste into any otehr window / field on other sites.)

• 12. Re: WebDirect does not render entire screen for a number of layouts
                                TSGal

DSKatSCL:

To be clear, Firefox is NOT a supported browser.  In my post, I begin with "Although not supported, I used Firefox...".  The machine had Firefox available, so I tried it not knowing the results.

Thank you for the instructions.  If I manually switch between layouts, I can easily reproduce the issue under all browsers on both Windows and Mac OS X.  Once this occurs, even if I return to the Main Menu, I am unable to get the records to render again.  I have to log out and log in.

If I don't manually switch to another layout, but instead use the buttons, I do not get the issue.

I have sent your file along with my findings to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
                                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: WebDirect does not render entire screen for a number of layouts
                                  philmodjunk
                                  An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.
                                  • 14. Re: WebDirect does not render entire screen for a number of layouts
                                    TSGal

DSKatSCL:

Development has confirmed that the changes made in FileMaker Server 13.0v2 cannot be applied to FileMaker Server 13.0v1 for Internet Explorer 9.

PhilModJunk:

This issue occurs in FileMaker Server 13.0v1 with all browsers, but it is fixed in FileMaker Server 13.0v2.  Where Internet Explorer 9 was supported in FileMaker Server 13.0v1, it is now not supported in FileMaker Server 13.0v2.

TSGal
                                         FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next