WebDirect doesn't refresh a repeating calculation field

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

FileMaker Server 14.0.2.226

Operating system version

Yosemite

Description of the issue

A list view with a repeating field (a calculation, the result is a container) showing a series of pictures.

A script changes some arguments used in the calculation, and refreshes the layout to show different pictures.

This works as expected in FMP13 and FMP14 desktop clients, and in FMS13 WebDirect. However, in FMS14 WebDirect, every single repeat (in every record) shows the same picture.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Make a layout as described above.

Expected result

Each repeat, in each record, should show its own picture.

Actual result

One picture is shown in all repetitions in all records.
      See the attached screen shot -- the same file accessed via WebD when hosted on FMS13 (above) and FMS14 (below).

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

None

Configuration information

I've tried Safari on a MacBook Air running Yosemite, and iE10 on a laptop running Win8.1

Workaround

None found yet.

Screen_Shot_2015-06-08_at_09.54.47.png

• 1. Re: WebDirect doesn't refresh a repeating calculation field
          TSGal

JonJ:

Thank you for your post.

If you place the repeating field values into a related table and accessed by a portal, do the images then appear?

If possible, I would like to get a copy of your database file so I can test it here.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: WebDirect doesn't refresh a repeating calculation field
            TSGal

JonJ:

The file has been received.  Thank you.

I have accessed the test file on your server, and I am able to see the issue.  It does appear the calculation field isn't being updated or refreshed properly.  I have sent your post, screenshot, and file to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: WebDirect doesn't refresh a repeating calculation field
              JonJ

Hi,

Thanks! 

I have a sort-of workaround, by using several separate field objects, each showing one repeat of the repeating field (instead of one field object showing multiple repeats). 

This refreshes as expected, but loses the benefit of using a repeating field (ease of management of the layout, and proportional resizing of each repeat when the screen is resized -- with separate field objects I can only set one repeat to expand rightwards when the window is widened).

Regards,

J.

• 4. Re: WebDirect doesn't refresh a repeating calculation field
                TSGal

JonJ:

First, our Development and Testing departments are already aware of this issue.  The recommended workaround (as you have discovered) is to use individual container fields. 

Second, I was directed to the release notes for FileMaker Server 14 which states "In FileMaker WebDirect solutions, do not use container fields that are repeating fields if they contain images, because the images may not appear correctly."

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14513/

When there is an update to this issue, I will post again.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: WebDirect doesn't refresh a repeating calculation field
                  JonJ

Thanks... although it seems that FIleMaker have redefined a bug as a 'feature' by including it in the release notes -- especially as it worked perfectly well in the pervious version of WebD. 

I assume, as it's not actually a bug, this 'feature' won't be fixed (or rather 'enhanced') any time soon? :)

J.

• 6. Re: WebDirect doesn't refresh a repeating calculation field
                    TSGal

JonJ:

Sarcasm set aside, this is definitely an issue.  If an issue requires too many resources to fix, we'll try to get it documented, and that is why it is mentioned in the Release notes; not in the documentation (Help, User's Guide, etc.).

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: WebDirect doesn't refresh a repeating calculation field
                      JonJ

Thanks!

It might be useful if the release notes could elucidate if an item is a permanent state of affairs, or some change/fix/upgrade might be expected in future. Many of the items are clearly not bugs or errors (e.g. "For the best FileMaker WebDirect performance when hosting complex solutions, install FileMaker Server on Windows Server 2012 R2 or on the latest supported version of OS X." )

As it stands :

1. In FileMaker WebDirect solutions, do not use container fields that are repeating fields if they contain images, because the images may not appear correctly.

...gives you no idea how to proceed, especially if you have a client who's solution relies on this feature in FM13. 

Regards,

J.

• 8. Re: WebDirect doesn't refresh a repeating calculation field
                        TSGal

JonJ:

It's unknown if "an item is a permanent state of affairs, or some change/fix/upgrade might be expected in future."  It depends mostly on the complexity of the issue and the project timeframe.

I have sent the Documentation manager a suggestion to add a sentence on how to proceed.  For example, "Instead, use related container fields."

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: WebDirect doesn't refresh a repeating calculation field
                          JonJ

Thanks. It's worth doing, particularly in the case where the item in question worked in previous versions but no longer works in the current version.   

It's unknown if "an item is a permanent state of affairs, or some change/fix/upgrade might be expected in future."  It depends mostly on the complexity of the issue and the project timeframe.