Webdirect import not importing XLS; ok with CSV

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

13.0v1 x 64

Operating system version

windows 2012

Description of the issue

The app validates and reformats telephone numbers. To do this it allows users to import 3 columns of data:

Country, Phone, optional label (usually in ID from another system)

In a test we find that the an import from XLS  misses some data in the optional column (the rest of the row is imported ok).

If I try to import the same file at the filemaker Pro 13 end, it works ok. If I convert the file to .CSV, it works ok in webdirect. Neither of these workarounds is available to the users.

I've sent the database and files that work & don't work to:

forumsupport@filemaker.com

Thanks for any advice.

• 1. Re: Webdirect import not importing XLS; ok with CSV
          johncampbell

Just been notified that in a further test, if you convert the original XLS to XLSX it also works ok. Possible bug when importing XLX?

• 2. Re: Webdirect import not importing XLS; ok with CSV
            TSGal

john campbell:

Thank you for your posts.

Our email was forwarded to me.

After several minutes trying to determine what isn't working in your file, I finally located the import button in the "Imported Records" Layout.  However, the import script will not work unless I log in.  Perhaps you can send the complete sequence of steps to replicate the issue.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the information.

TSGal
                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Webdirect import not importing XLS; ok with CSV
              johncampbell

Hi TSGal,

if you click "how does it work", you'll get full instructions

username: john

password: 1957

you can do what you like to the data. It's a test system.

• 4. Re: Webdirect import not importing XLS; ok with CSV
                TSGal

john campbell:

First, I see that the import script is not lining up the fields properly.  The current setup has Country matching Country (correct), Affinity ID matching to Phone No, and Account Tel. No matching to nothing.  I changed the import so Account Tel. matches to Phone No. and Affinity ID matching to Your Label.  I then run the script in FileMaker Pro, and it works properly.

I then uploaded the file to FileMaker Server 13.0v2.  I launched Safari 7 and accessed the file via WebDirect.  I tapped the button "Import Your Data", I'm prompted for the file (I choose the .xls file), I'm prompted for the fields (as the three fields are set up properly), and the data is imported.  All three fields are imported as 99 records are added to the file with information in the "Your Label", "Country" and "Phone" fields.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Webdirect import not importing XLS; ok with CSV
                  johncampbell

Interesting, i did the same and now it works, many thanks. The questions is: Since the user can set the mapping at import time, why should any preset mappings cause the import to fail, and only in certain file types?

• 6. Re: Webdirect import not importing XLS; ok with CSV
                    TSGal

john campbell:

I don't know why the import failed, as I first noticed the break in the target field portions of import.  That is, Country, Phone No, <blank> and Your Label.  After looking at both the Excel and CSV files, I knew this was not the correct import order, so I changed it.  I then loaded your file onto the server, accessed it via WebDirect, and I was able to import both files successfully.

As a side note, it is generally recommended that you set up the field import order when using an "Import Records" script step.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Webdirect import not importing XLS; ok with CSV
                      johncampbell

thanks, I'll see that communicated more forcefully on the site.