Summary

Webdirect login not comming up

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

Windows 2008 R2

Description of the issue

Sometimes after a day or two, the webdirect page only shows the filemaker background, but the login doesn't pop-up.
      I'll have to restart the web publishing engine to get it to work.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Wait some days, then try to login to webpublising.

Expected result

Can login to filemaker webdirect

Actual result

login pop-up doesn't show

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

eventlog after i try to restart webpublishing:
      Faulting application name: fmscwpc.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x553a8b95
      Faulting module name: fmscwpc.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x553a8b95
      Exception code: 0xc0000005
      Fault offset: 0x0000000000152f91
      Faulting process id: 0xbbc
      Faulting application start time: 0x01d097a997fb1454
      Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Web Publishing\publishing-engine\cwpc\fmscwpc.exe
      Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Web Publishing\publishing-engine\cwpc\fmscwpc.exe
      Report Id: ccbd01dd-0501-11e5-82c3-000c295497ff

WEBDIRECT_ERROR.png

• 1. Re: Webdirect login not comming up
          CarlHorton

Just want to lend my vote to getting this resolved as, since we are a FileMaker hosting company, this is becoming a very large problem for us.  We have 4 FileMaker Server 14 servers setup across the planet (so far) and all of them are experiencing the same issue.  It does seem to be tied to usage though as our busier servers lose the WebDirect login dialog multiple times a day while our least busy servers lose it only once every few days.

It is also interesting to note that even though WebDirect no longer prompts for a login (presumably because it doesn't see any databases on the server, even though they are there... akin to the way FMS13 and FMS12 would say "No Databases Available"), the CPWE does continue to work as https://(server address)/fmi/xml/fmresultset.xml?-dbnames continues to prompt for authentication and list databases that match the credentials.  In FMS 13, if WebDirect went down then the CWPE was down as well.

We also have not yet determined a way to automatically detect this situation as the ports remain open, the process is still running, there's nothing in the Windows Event log until we restart the service and the html output is the same regardless if it's working (the login box is generated by Javascript).  If we could at least detect it before customers called it would help reduce the trouble this issue causes.

• 2. Re: Webdirect login not comming up
            andrewcs

Same Issue. I also notice that the system kicks WebDirect users out after layouts have been saved by FMP desktop software. 

• 3. Re: Webdirect login not comming up
              LuukKemp

Any updates on this from Filemaker Support?

It's not nice to have customers call every day or two that the server is again not working..

If you need anymore logs and / or screenshots please tell me, this needs to be resolved.

• 4. Re: Webdirect login not comming up
                TSGal

Luuk Kemp, Carl Horton and Andrew Stephens:

Thank you for your posts.

I don't see anything similar to this issue, so since this is happening to three of you, I'll need some more information.

What operating system is running FileMaker Server 14.0.x?  (Luuk Kemp - no need to reply - Windows Server 2008 R2)

What are the last 10-20 lines of the event log prior to the disconnect?  access log?

Carl Horton said CWPE continues to work.  Can Luuk Kemp and Andrew Stephens verify?

Are there FileMaker Pro clients connecting to the server?  If so, can you verify they are not affected?

Andrew Stephens - for clarification - are Web Direct users able to reconnect after being kicked off?  If not, what steps have you tried to get Web Direct users reconnected?  Also, do you regularly have users make changes to layouts on a live database?

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Webdirect login not comming up
                  CarlHorton

I’m running Windows 2008 R2 SP1.

I have the lines from the logs you requested from my latest outage last night at about 10:14 PM PST (not entirely sure of the exact time as I can’t detect it, but this is when customers started notifying me), but I don’t want to post them to this public forum as they contain some customer information.  How can I send them to you privately?  Also, there is nothing I see in them relating to the WebDirect login dialog disappearing.

I see the same thing in the Windows Event log that Luuk posted *after* I restart WebDirect.

There are FileMaker Pro clients connected and they are not affected by the WebDirect login screen going missing.

Also, https://(server address)/fmi/webd/dbnames *does* continue to list JSON output of databases that match the credentials provided by HTTP BASIC AUTH.  But, when it fails, if you go directly to a database like https://(server address)/fmi/webd#FMServer_Sample the page says “Loading…” but never does anything.

If you view the source code of https://(server address)/fmi/webd#FMServer_Sample there is one small difference between when everything works and when it doesn’t.

When it’s up, line 23 of the HTML Source says:

vaadin.initApplication("fmiwebd-742712558",{"authErrMsg":{"caption":"Authentication problem","message":"Take note of any unsaved data, and <u>click here<\/u> to continue."},"heartbeatInterval":30,"vaadinDir":".\/VAADIN\/","comErrMsg":{"caption":"Communication problem","message":"Take note of any unsaved data, and <u>click here<\/u> to continue."},"sessExpMsg":{"caption":"Session Expired","message":"Take note of any unsaved data, and <u>click here<\/u> to continue."},"standalone":true,"theme":"default","versionInfo":{"vaadinVersion":"7.2.6.fmi"},"widgetset":"com.filemaker.jwpc.iwp.widgetset.UIWidgetSet"});
                  //]]></script>

When it’s down, line 23 of HTML Source code says (notice the “or press ESC to continue” verbiage):

vaadin.initApplication("fmiwebd-742712558",{"authErrMsg":{"caption":"Authentication problem","message":"Take note of any unsaved data, and <u>click here<\/u> or press ESC to continue."},"heartbeatInterval":30,"vaadinDir":".\/VAADIN\/","comErrMsg":{"caption":"Communication problem","message":"Take note of any unsaved data, and <u>click here<\/u> or press ESC to continue."},"sessExpMsg":{"caption":"Session Expired","message":"Take note of any unsaved data, and <u>click here<\/u> or press ESC key to continue."},"standalone":true,"theme":"default","versionInfo":{"vaadinVersion":"7.2.6.fmi"},"widgetset":"com.filemaker.jwpc.iwp.widgetset.UIWidgetSet"});

WebDirect users cannot log back in until I run a command like:

fmsadmin -y wpe stop
                  fmsadmin -y wpe start

… infrequently I have to do it more than once, or restart the adminserver as well.

• 6. Re: Webdirect login not comming up
                    CarlHorton

I meant 

fmsadmin -y stop wpe
                    fmsadmin -y start wpe

• 7. Re: Webdirect login not comming up
                      TSGal

Carl Horton:

Thank you for the information including the HTML Source for the differences between running and not running.

Testing would like to see your log files.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the log files.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Webdirect login not comming up
                        TSGal

Carl Horton:

I received your log files.  Thank you.

The files have been sent to Development and Testing for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Webdirect login not comming up
                          CarlHorton

Just as an FYI, FileMaker Server 14v2 does not solve this issue.

• 10. Re: Webdirect login not comming up
                            TSGal

Luuk Kemp, Andrew Stephens and Carl Horton:

Testing would like some additional information:

1. Do you have more than one browser window open accessing the same server?  If so, how many?

2. Is this a single user license or a volume license?

3. How many users are typically accessing the server simultaneously?

4. Do you have a database filter turned on?  If so, temporarily turn it off to see if the issue occurs.

5. Are any users able to access WebDirect when the issue is being experienced?

6. Please post a screen shot of what you see when you experience the issue.  (Use the "Choose File" button at bottom of reply)

7. Do you see any spinners or progress indicators in the URL address bar or anywhere else on the page?

TSGal
                            FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Webdirect login not comming up
                              CarlHorton

1) Hard to determine because I can’t pinpoint the exact time of failure. On average I believe the number is low… between 1 and 5.

2) In order to overcome this other error, https://community.filemaker.com/message/186582#186582, we first started out with the free trial version of FileMaker Server 14.  Then, once FileMaker Server 14v2 was released we applied our own annual volume license keys.  In both cases the behavior is the same.

3) At the moment during the business day it averages about 30 total between FM Pro, Go and WebDirect.  This is light load compared to our FMS 13 servers, but I think customers with more users of their solutions want the bugs flushed out first before they upgrade.

4) If by database filter you mean “Do you have the ‘List only the databases each user is authorized to access’ checkbox checked?” then yes and I cannot disable it.  Customers would cancel our services right away citing they aren’t secure. 

5) No.

6) Luuk’s screenshot in the original post is what I see when I go to /fmi/webd.  If I go to /fmi/webd#DatabaseName then all I see is “Loading…” in the middle of a white screen.

7) No.

I also noticed that when the login dialog is missing, the AJAX heartbeat request of /fmi/webd/HEARTBEAT/?v-uiId=0 gives either empty responses (just HTTP headers with no body content) or responses like:

143|for(;;);[{"syncId": 5, "changes" : [], "state":{}, "types":{}, "hierarchy":{}, "rpc" : [], "meta" : {}, "resources" : {}, "timings":[4989, 0]}]
                              143|for(;;);[{"syncId": 6, "changes" : [], "state":{}, "types":{}, "hierarchy":{}, "rpc" : [], "meta" : {}, "resources" : {}, "timings":[7857, 0]}]

Whereas when the login dialog does appear, the AJAX heartbeat request of /fmi/webd/HEARTBEAT/?v-uiId=0 gives either empty responses (just HTTP headers with no body content) or responses like:

553|for(;;);[{"syncId": 4, "changes" : [["change",{"pid":"0"},["0",{"id":"0","location":"https:\/\/n442.fmphost.com\/fmi\/webd","focused":"20","rL":true,"v":{"action":""}},["actions",{},["action",{"key":"1","caption":"Clear","kc":27}]]]],["change",{"pid":"11"},["18",{"id":"11","v":{"action":""}},["actions",{},["action",{"key":"1","kc":13,"mk":[]}]]]]], "state":{"11":{"positionY":123,"centered":false,"positionX":484}}, "types":{"0":"0","11":"18"}, "hierarchy":{"0":["1","11"],"11":["12"]}, "rpc" : [], "meta" : {}, "resources" : {}, "timings":[1276, 4]}]

• 12. Re: Webdirect login not comming up
                                TSGal

Carl Horton:

Thank you for the information.  I have sent this information to Testing.

TSGal
                                FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Webdirect login not comming up
                                  TSGal

Carl Horton:

Here are two more questions from Testing.

8. When this issue occurs, are there any WebDirect users listed in the Admin Console?  If so, how many?  Also, how many FileMaker Go connections?

9. What occurs if you clear the browser cache and then go back to Web Direct home page?

10. Is there one FileMaker server using database filtering to allow customers from different companies to access their own specific database files?

TSGal
                                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Webdirect login not comming up
                                    CarlHorton

8) In this most recent occurrence that happened today (second one so far), when I went to the Admin Console, before running the "fmsadmin -y stop / start wpe" command, both the FileMaker Go and WebDirect connection counts were showing as 0.

9) I get the same result, the FileMaker WebDirect homepage showing no databases and no login screen.

10) Not sure I understand the question, but we are a FileMaker database hosting company.  Multiple companies will host their databases on a single one our servers and because of that we must keep the ‘List only the databases each user is authorized to access’ checkbox checked.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next