Summary

WebDirect PDF Import Not Showing Properly

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

OS X 10.9.1

Description of the issue

I believe I have found an issue with FileMaker Pro 13. When I use FileMaker to access a hosted (FileMaker Server 13) and Insert PDF into a container field everything works properly. However, when I do the same thing using any web browser using WebDirect the same file Inserted only shows an icon of the file rather than the file itself.
      Again, using FM Pro 13 to Insert the file I get the file with all the accompanying PDF items such as scroll bars if it is a multipage PDF. BUT when I Insert the same file via WebDirect only an icon shows.
      I've tried it in Windows as well as Mac using Safari and Chrome to see if that is the issue and it isn't.

Steps to reproduce the problem

1- Insert PDF into a container field using WebDirect
      2- Upon upload only generic PDF icon shows
      3- No preview of the PDF as in FM Pro
      4- JPG, TIF, PNG work fine.
      5- PDFs do not

Expected result

See a preview of the PDF in WebDirect

Actual result

Only see generic icon. In screenshot sent the image on the left is using FM Pro. The generic icon is using WebDirect.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

None

Workaround

I'm thinking but can't figure this one out.

Screen_Shot_2013-12-31_at_3.11.24_PM.png

• 1. Re: WebDirect PDF Import Not Showing Properly
          TSGal

Douglas Fry:

Thank you for your post.

Our Development and Testing departments are already aware of this issue.  This only appears to occur with files hosted on Mac OS X.

I have attached your post to the original report.  When additional information becomes available, I will let you know.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: WebDirect PDF Import Not Showing Properly
            DouglasFry

Thanks TSGal,

It seems to occur on other servers in addition to Mac OS X. Here is the reply from our server company:

Hello Douglas,

All of our FileMaker 13 Servers are hosted on Windows 2008 Server R2.

Bests,

Carl Horton
            FileMaker Hosting Pros
            carl@filemakerhostingpros.com
            http://www.filemakerhostingpros.com
            TEL: (888) 520-8291
            FAX: (352) 240-3481

• 3. Re: WebDirect PDF Import Not Showing Properly
              philmodjunk

An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.

Risk Level Note: YES this is a serious issue, but risk to your data and file integrity (See notes about risk level on database main layout or first post of Report an Issue) are minimal.

• 4. Re: WebDirect PDF Import Not Showing Properly
                TSGal

Douglas Fry:

I am unable to replicate the issue when a file is hosted under Windows 2008 Server R2 running FileMaker Server 13.0v1.  In essence, I have a Container field set for Interactive display, and I can insert/upload a PDF file into the Container field  via WebDirect, and it shows properly in WebDirect and FileMaker Pro 13.0v1.  Let me know what steps are different from you so I can replicate the issue.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: WebDirect PDF Import Not Showing Properly
                  DouglasFry

My original post pretty much explains the issue. But here it is again.

1- Insert PDF into a container field using WebDirect
                  2- Upon upload only generic PDF icon shows
                  3- No preview of the PDF as in FM Pro
                  4- JPG, TIF, PNG work fine.
                  5- PDFs do not

Here is a link to a video that shows the problem.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/601010/FMProPDFDisplayProblem.mov

• 6. Re: WebDirect PDF Import Not Showing Properly
                    TSGal

Douglas Fry:

The only possible difference is if your Container field is not set for Interactive display.  As you saw in my steps, after inserting/uploading the PDF file, the PDF file displays.  If my Container field was not set for Interactive display, I would only get a file icon.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: WebDirect PDF Import Not Showing Properly
                      DouglasFry

TSGal,

Thanks for your help. I checked each one of the fields involved. The container fields are all set as Interactive as the screenshot below indicates.

• 8. Re: WebDirect PDF Import Not Showing Properly
                        TSGal

Douglas Fry:

I've tried this with Safari and Chrome on Mac OS X 10.9.1, and with Safari on Mac OS X 10.8.5.  I used the FileMaker Pro 13 User's Guide as my PDF file to insert.  See if you are able to make it work with this file.

If the FileMaker Pro 13 User's Guide PDF inserts properly, tell me more about the PDF file that you are trying to insert.  That is, what application created the PDF file?  There have been some issues reported with Adobe plug-ins for Mavericks.  Try removing them and just use Apple's Preview.  Does this work?  See the related post at:

Records with a PDF file linked to an active container field cause FMP 12 to crash in OS 10.9

Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal
                             FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: WebDirect PDF Import Not Showing Properly
                          DouglasFry

Thanks for the link. The link discusses an issue with Mavericks. So, since I am running that OS I tried it on an older Mac we have here running OS 10.7.5. Same problem.

So I disabled Adobe Acrobat as directed in the forum discussion. Now, I'm using Preview to do the screen views. However, I get the same result.

I Inserted PDF and uploaded the fmp13_users_guide.pdf with the same result...

FMPro displays the PDF properly. WebDirect only shows an icon.

I also tried it on my emulation software in Windows 7 with the same result.

The screen shot I just took shows the different views using FMP and WebDirect. Left is FMP, right is WebDirect.

Thanks again for all your help. I can't think of a workaround besides hosting it myself but my fear is that the problem would still exist as the files would be hosted via a OS X Mavericks machine.

• 10. Re: WebDirect PDF Import Not Showing Properly
                            TSGal

Douglas Fry:

Enclosed is my screen shot showing a file on FileMaker Server 13.0v1 under Windows 2008 Server being accessed by FileMaker Pro 13.0v1 on Mac OS X 10.9.1 and WebDirect using Safari.  The file was inserted/uploaded via WebDirect.

I'm not sure where else to look.  Do you have any ports blocked?  Have you tried with all ports open?

When I double-click my PDF file, it also displays properly in Preview.

TSGal
                                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: WebDirect PDF Import Not Showing Properly
                              DouglasFry

Hi TSGal,

Thanks for your help. I'm stumped. This file is being served by a 3rd party. Let me check with them.

Thanks again,

Douglas

• 12. Re: WebDirect PDF Import Not Showing Properly
                                philmodjunk

One thing you might try:

Create a small file with an interactive container field on a layout and host it from the same server.

Use a web browser to upload an image to it and see if you get the same results.

If you get the correct results from your test file, this suggests an issue with your original file and there may be several things such as replacing the layout or recovering your file that you may want to try as possible corrections.

• 13. Re: WebDirect PDF Import Not Showing Properly
                                  DouglasFry

Thanks. I tried that. Created a new file with only one Interactive Container Field.

Hosted it from the same server. Same results. WebDirect doesn't create the Preview, only an icon of the PDF. FM Pro shows the contents of the PDF.

It must be the server. I'll continue looking into it.

Thanks!

• 14. Re: WebDirect PDF Import Not Showing Properly
                                    philmodjunk

Hmmmm, what storage options have you specified for this container field?

1 2 Previous Next