WebDirect Send Mail Using Mail Client Failures

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

OSX Mavericks

Description of the issue

Using Send Mail Script step.

I collect addresses from a field across the found set into the BCC field.

Using FMS13 on OSX Mavericks Server, a client using FMPA 12 or FMPA13 on OSX Mavericks correctly compiles a list for Mail (I presume using a "," between each address).

When I run the same script via WebDirect to the same Server, using Safari 7.0.1 on OSX Mavericks, the Mail application is initiated but the email addresses list uses ";" (Semicolon, not Comma) as the delimiter - which Mail rejects. 

With WebDirect on a Windows 7 machine with Explorer.
      This initiates Outlook, but places "&bcc={list of email addreses}" in cc field.

Steps to reproduce the problem

New Database just for the test.
      One table, two fields (Name & Email)
      One script triggered by a button (only one layout)
      3 records with different email addresses

Uploaded to the Server
      Tested on a Mac with FileMaker Pro
      Tested by WebDirect on Mac (Safari 7)
      Tested by WebDirect on Windows 7 (IE)

Expected result

Email client to start with a new message showing with the bcc filled in with the three addresses in a form suitable for the email client

Actual result

Email client is initiated in each case (Mail on Mac and Outlook on Windows 7)

FileMaker Pro on Mac - all works fine

Safari on Mac using WebDirect - a list of the three email addresses is placed in the bcc field but delimited with a semicolon, which is not accepted by Mail as a valid address list (it needs to be a comma).

IE on Windows 7 using webDirect - an entry is made in the >>>> cc <<<< field (not  the bcc field) with the following format:  &bcc={list of email addresses}
      The list of addresses uses a semicolon as the delimiter.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error messages appear from FileMaker.  The mail clients object to the incorrect form to the addressing entries.

Workaround

Even compelling my own list and placing it in the bcc field via Send Mail results in Oulook showing &bcc=(my list) in the cc field

• 1. Re: WebDirect Send Mail Using Mail Client Failures
          TSGal

Ian Rienits:

Thank you for your post.

On the Mac side, I am able to replicate the issue.  The Send Mail script works correctly in FileMaker Pro 13.0v1, but fails when running via WebDirect.  That is, the email addresses are displayed with a semicolon separator.

I have sent this information, along with my findings, to our Development and Testing departments for review.

On the Windows side, I do not have Outlook to install, so I have sent your post to our Development and Testing departments for review.

When I receive feedback regarding either issue, I will let you know.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: WebDirect Send Mail Using Mail Client Failures
            philmodjunk

An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.

Let me know what they find out with OutLook in Windows so I can either label this as "mac only" or include windows systems in the report.

• 3. Re: WebDirect Send Mail Using Mail Client Failures
              TSGal

Ian Rientis:

Our Development and Testing departments are aware of this issue.  The Release Notes (section 7.7) also states "In FileMaker WebDirect solutions that use a field to create a list of recipients for the Send Mail script step, web users should separate email addresses with commas rather than semicolons or carriage returns."  You can view the entire FileMaker Server 13 release notes via Knowledge Base Article #12541 at:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12541

I have attached your post to the original report.  When any further information becomes available, I will let you know.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: WebDirect Send Mail Using Mail Client Failures
                TSGal

Ian Rientis:

This issue has been fixed in FileMaker Server 14.0.1.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.