WebDirect Zombie Popover

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

13v4

Operating system version

Win 7 or Mac OS X 10.9

Description of the issue

If you perform a script that navigates to another layout and then back to the original and finishes up with going back to the Popover via the Go to Object (Name of Popover), the popover will not close and remains persistent across all layouts. The only way to put it to rest, is to either select another popover or enter a field in the Zombie itself.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Script launched from button or trigger in popover:

Go to Layout (different from original)
      Go to Layout (original)
      Go to Object (Name of Popover)

Expected result

Popover should close when clicking out of it or changing layout.

Actual result

Popover remains persistent across layouts and will not close

Workaround

Click into an editable field in the Zombie popover or open different popover. Either of these techniques converts the Popover back into a good citizen again.

• 1. Re: WebDirect Zombie Popover
          TSGal

Vince Dolan:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done:

1. With FileMaker Server 13.0v4 running on a Mac OS X 10.9 Server, I launched FileMaker Pro from another machine running Mac OS X 10.10, and opened the FMServer_Sample.fmp12 file on the server.

2. With the Projects layout showing, I went into Layout mode, pulled down the Layouts menu and selected "New Layout/Report...".  I chose Computer -> Form, and named the layout "A".

3. In the new layout, I created a Popover button, and let it default "Popover".

4. I added the Description field to the Popover.

5. I selected the Popover, and in the Inspector, I named it "Popover".

6. I created a script, TEST, with the following steps:
             Go to Layout [ "Projects" (Projects) ]
             Go to Layout [ original layout ]
             Go to Object [ Object Name: "Popover" ]

7. Back in the Popover on the layout, I added a button that Perform Script "TEST".

8. In Browse Mode, I opened the Popover, clicked the button, and I'm able to then click outside the Popover to close it.

9. I then inserted a Pause/Resume Script between the two Go to Layout script steps.  Clicking the button, and continuing the script, I was still able to click outside the portal to close it.

Please let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc

• 2. Re: WebDirect Zombie Popover
            vince@supportgroup.com

TSGal

This is a WebDirect issue. Please try from browser (I haven't tried in IE, but it happens in Safari Mac and Chrome Win/Mac)

• 3. Re: WebDirect Zombie Popover
              TSGal

Vince Dolan:

My apologies.  I forgot to mention that I had Web Direct active at the same time with Safari (8) and Chrome (38) launched.  In both cases, the Popover appears, and I'm able to click outside the Popover to close it.

What other applications do you have open on your machine?  In case there is a system timing issue, try inserting a Pause/Resume script step with a duration of 0.1 seconds.  Does this work?

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: WebDirect Zombie Popover
                vince@supportgroup.com

TSGal

I tried the same thing on my FMServer_Sample and got different results. (I also tried IE this time as well). I placed a pause of .1 and .25 seconds between each step and only got it to work when I placed the "Close Popover" and then another "Go to Object". 

Go to Layout ["PHP Technology Test"]
                Go to Layout [original layout]
                Pause/Resume Script [Duration (seconds): .1]
                Go to Object [Object Name: : "TestPopOver"]
                Close Popover
                Pause/Resume Script [Duration (seconds): .1]
                Go to Object [Object Name: : "TestPopOver"]

It appears that the Server and the Browser are getting out of sync. The browser appears to be still displaying the popover, but the server thinks it's closed. The popover doesn't close until you either open another (the server must send a call for all other popovers to close) or by physically placing your cursor into a field, there by re-syncing the view.

We have had this issue with several of our WebDirect projects and have found different ways to solve the problem, depending on the state the script leaves the user. We initially thought it maybe a result of a two machine deployment, by we have recently seen it on a single machine setup as well.

• 5. Re: WebDirect Zombie Popover
                  TSGal

Vince Dolan:

I modified by layout so it would compare to your settings.  That is, I renamed my Popover to "TestPopOver".  I changed the script to read as follows:

Go to Layout [ "PHP Technology Test" ]
                     Go to Layout [ original layout ]
                     Go to Object [ Object Name: "TestPopOver" ]

I accessed the file via Web Direct using the following computer:

iMac - Mac OS X 10.10.1
                     Safari 8.0
                     Chrome 38

MacBook Pro - Mac OS X 10.8.5
                     Safari 6.2
                     Chrome 38

Dell Computer - Windows 7
                     Chrome 38
                     (The Windows 7 machine had Internet Explorer 9, which is not supported in Web Direct)

In all browsers, after the script had run, I could click outside the Popover, and the Popover would close.

FileMaker Server 13.0v4 was running under Mac OS X 10.9.5.

There is obviously something different between our machines.  Is the server on the same LAN?  Same subnet?  Try clearing the browser cache.

Please continue to keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: WebDirect Zombie Popover
                    vince@supportgroup.com

TSGal

One of our developers was able to create most of this same behavior in the full FileMaker client (Both Windows and Mac). Here is how he did it:

1. Put an OnObjectExit script trigger on the first popover that exits in "0" if certain conditions are met (exit "0" causes the PO to not close)

2. Place a button on the first PO that opens a second PO and sets the exit "0" condition via a script.

3. Upon clicking this button, you will have 2 Popovers open.

2. Closing the second PO causes the first to go zombie,meaning you can't close it, unless you manually open another popover or click in a field inside the first PO then click outside)

• 7. Re: WebDirect Zombie Popover
                      TSGal

Vince Dolan:

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something, but if you set the exit condition to "0" on the first Popover, you will be unable to close it unless you can change the condition of the Popover back to 1.

This is what I have done.

1a. On my first Popover, named "Popover1", I placed a Text field "F1".

1b. I created a script "Don't close Popover1" with the script steps:
                         If [ F1 = "1" ]
                            Exit Script [Result: 0]
                         End If

1c. In Layout Mode, I selected the object "Popover1", and set a script trigger OnObjectExit to execute "Don't close Popover1"

1d. In Browse Mode, when I set F1 to 1, I could not close Popover1 until I changed F1 to something other than 1.

2a. I created a second Popover named "Popover2".

2b. I created a second script "Open Popover2" with the script steps:
                         Set Field [ F1 ; "1" ]
                         Go to Object [ Object Name: "Popover2" ]

2c. I placed a button in "Popover1" that executes the script "Open Popover2".

3. In Browse mode, I opened Popover1, and clicked the button.  Popover2 opens.  Since F1 =1, Popover1 will not close unless the value changes.

In your description, you mention that you must "manually open another popover or click in a field inside the first PO then click outside".  In your case, what is the exit condition to set the first popover back to 1?

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: WebDirect Zombie Popover
                        vince@supportgroup.com

TSGal

If fact you don't have to even have any script steps in the OnExitObject trigger. Just having one causes the behavior - we just discovered this while testing.

I will send you a sample file and you will see how, just tell me where you want me to send the file.

• 9. Re: WebDirect Zombie Popover
                          TSGal

Vince Dolan:

Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the sample file.

TSGal
                          FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: WebDirect Zombie Popover
                            TSGal

Vince Dolan:

I received your file.  Thank you.

I am able to replicate the issue on both Mac OS X 10.10.1 and Windows 7.  In essence, if a Popover has an OnObjectExit script trigger, any button inside that Popover that selects another Popover or Tab Control panel will keep the original Popover open.

I have sent your file along with my findings to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
                            FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: WebDirect Zombie Popover
                              philmodjunk

I believe that I've also seen this happen in FM GO on iOS devices. Can you confirm that TSGal?

An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.

• 12. Re: WebDirect Zombie Popover
                                TSGal

PhilModJunk:

I can confirm this also occurs with FileMaker Go (13.0v7) on all devices.

TSGal
                                FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: WebDirect Zombie Popover
                                  TSGal

All:

Testing and Development were already aware of this issue.  This forum thread has been attached to the original report.

TSGal
                                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: WebDirect Zombie Popover
                                    TSGal

Vince Dolan:

This issue has been fixed in FileMaker Server 14.0.1.

TSGal
                                    FileMaker, Inc.