1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2010 11:20 AM by TSGal

Webviewer Does Not Display PDF

michaelb_1

Summary

Webviewer Does Not Display PDF

Description of the issue

Filemaker Pro 10 Advanced 10.0v3 will not display a pdf file within a Webviewer window on Snow Leopard Server 10.6.2 using Instant Web Publishing. I have reduced the issue to a simple test database with one layout and a Webviewer with a hard coded url to a pdf file. FMP 10A does display pdfs properly in the client application and also works properly under Snow Leopard but not under SL Server.  (Note this is unrelated to the Adobe PDF plugin / crashing issue). 

• 1. Re: Webviewer Does Not Display PDF
          michaelb_1

Here is a screen snap with the blank webviewer plus the error message "canceled opening the page".

• 2. Re: Webviewer Does Not Display PDF
            michaelb_1

Trashing the applications folder and preferences and a new install does not correct the problem.

• 3. Re: Webviewer Does Not Display PDF
              WoodApple

A web viewer uses your browser. I know some of the recent Adobe Readers had some issues with displaying PDF's in a browser. Try to open the PDF in your browser (without using the webviewer) and make sure it works.

• 4. Re: Webviewer Does Not Display PDF
                michaelb_1

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I've tried Sarafi, Firefox, Opera with same results, a blank webviewer. I use preview as the pdf reader, adobe reader is not loaded. All of the browsers display the pdf file correctly when I enter the same url I hard coded into the webviewer.

Could there be some kind of port issue? All the ports should be open, but I haven't been able to find out if the browser to IWP webviewer uses a special port.

• 5. Re: Webviewer Does Not Display PDF
                  WoodApple

I have seen security settings on browsers also have an effect (I work on windows and use IE so I am not even sure how to tell you to check, the behavior in a viewer is slightly differant than the browser and is poorly documented. )

• 6. Re: Webviewer Does Not Display PDF
                    TSGal

michaelb:

Thank you for your posts.

What is the URL specified in the Web Viewer?  This may provide a clue.

If the URL is specifying a PDF file on a local drive, then Instant Web Publishing may not have access to it.  Try putting it in the Web folder and link from there, much like you would place files for Container field references.

If it is being referenced on a public server, make sure the people using Instant Web Publishing have that public server mounted.

Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Webviewer Does Not Display PDF
                      michaelb_1

The pdf files that do not work are in the library/webserver/documents folder on the host running Snow Leopard Server 10.6.2 and Filemaker Pro 10 Advanced IWP.

I've tried localhost, the url, and the ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with and without explicit :80 port assignments. None work. The url with the pdf file name does access properly from a browser. So it is only a problem when the webviewer points to the pdf on the host computer. pdfs hosted on other computers work. Same results on Sarafi, Opera, and Firefox, the viewer is blank. Safari activity monitor indicates the viewer  link "cancelled opening the page" no idea why. Firefox wants to open the pdf in a new window. Opera says "Frame content not displayed, cannot display content", and asks to download the pdf file, which it will do if clicked.  Again, the FMP10 client application works just fine. Strange. 

Does the IWP Webviewer do anything special port wise or format wise?

• 8. Re: Webviewer Does Not Display PDF
                        TSGal

michaelb:

Here are the steps I took....

Using the Read Me.pdf file in the Web folder as the example, I launched FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced and created a database file.  I turned on Instant Web Publishing and set the access to all users.  In Layout Mode, I added a Web Viewer and set the calculation to:

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:591/Read Me.pdf

(Note: I always have port 591 set on my machine since that port is registered by FileMaker, Inc. so no chance of port conflicts)

I go to Browse mode, and the PDF file is displayed.

I go to a second machine, launch Safari, enter the URL:  http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:591, and I get the Instant Web Publishing home page where I select the file.  In the Web Viewer, the PDF file is displayed.  Therefore, make sure the PDF file is located in the Web folder of FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Webviewer Does Not Display PDF
                          michaelb_1

Thank you for trying. I also use port 591 for IWP. I get very different results. I've tried it on the 3 different servers we have and switch the firewall off. IWP publishing doesn't work on any of those 3 server machines, so it is not a single installation problem, it is generic. And again, using the webviewer in the FMP application everything works, it is IWP that is broken. Couple things:

1) Did you all using Snow Leopard Server? Our problem is confined to IWP on Server as far as I can tell. IWP on Leopard / SL works.

2) I am confused about your assumption that the referenced WebViewer files go into the "Web folder of FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced" as you state. On all our MACs the default folder for the pdf files hosted for the web is /Library/WebServer/Documents/. I do not get any url access to /Application/Filemaker Pro 10 Advanced/Web whether I use the FMP application or the IWP WebViewer (unless I specifically point to port 591 in the url, see below). I get "Object not found! error 404" for the Read Me file in the Web folder of FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced

3) I think the WebViewers should go / and do go to port 80 as a default not to port 591. In fact I have explicitly forced it to port 80 by xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80/name and do not get the files.

4) When I force the url to port 591, then the webviewer does work properly on snow leopard server

So, it appears that there is some kind of bug with FIlemaker WebViewer IWP under Leopard Server that prevents it from getting files from port 80's  /Library/WebServer/Documents/. It does get those files from port 80 from within the application.

Can you try to duplicate this, get files into the IWP webviewer from port 80 of SL server?

• 10. Re: Webviewer Does Not Display PDF
                            TSGal

michaelb:

I do not have immediate access to a Snow Leopard server.

If you are using FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced, then the PDF file should go in the Web folder inside the FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced folder.  Instant Web Publishing will only access the Web folder in the FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced folder.

The Web Viewer is not a browser.  It is using the port within FileMaker Pro.  If you are using port 591, then specify port 591 in the Web Viewer.  If you are using Instant Web Publishing with port 80, then you don't need to specify a port with the Web Viewer.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Webviewer Does Not Display PDF
                              michaelb_1

TSGal,

That is the bug! Webviewer can't display pages whether they are pdf or html (a recent discovery ) from port 80 when IWP is hosted on Mac OSX Server.

I do not think your statement "Instant Web Publishing will only access the Web folder in the FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced folder." is correct. the Webviewer can get to a page on any server, as a matter of fact FMP has default links to Google, Mapquest, etc built in. They all go to port 80 on other servers.

The point again, is FMP IWP has a problem when hosted on OSX server. It runs fine on the non server Leopard. Webviewer has no problem displaying pages (pdf or html) from port 80. It just doesn't work on OSX Server.

Can you all check this out?

• 12. Re: Webviewer Does Not Display PDF
                                TSGal

michaelb:

I just tried this on Mac OSX Server 10.5.8, and it works properly with port 80.  This is what I did.

I launched FileMaker Pro 11, created a database with one field (TEST) and entered the contents:

<IP Address>/Read Me.pdf

I created a Web Viewer with the calculations:

"http://" & TEST

When I go to Browse Mode, the default "Read Me.pdf" file in the Web folder launches.

I then turned on Instant Web Publishing using port 80 and set access to the file for all users .

I launch Safari from another Mac, enter the IP Address, select the file, and the Web Viewer displays the "Read Me.pdf" file.

I will have access to a Mac OS X Server 10.6.x in a couple of days.  I will try it there next.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Webviewer Does Not Display PDF
                                  michaelb_1

TSGal,

Thank you for continuing to work this issue. It is kind of a show stopper for us.

I do not understand "I then turned on Instant Web Publishing using port 80 and set access to the file for all users ." On our Leopard servers, port 80 conflicts with the Leopard Web server, FMP complains about that when you try it, that is why we have to use port 591 for IWP access. If we turn off the web server, then IWP will not serve from port 80 even when we tell it to.

The issue is that IWP is forced to serve from port 591 so the Leopard server can serve files from port 80.

• 14. Re: Webviewer Does Not Display PDF
                                    TSGal

michaelb:

Thank you for the additional information.

Assuming my IP Address is 10.10.10.10, I changed my Instant Web Publishing to port 591, and I changed my entry into TEST as:

10.10.10.10:591/Read Me.pdf

I then switch to another computer, open a browser and enter:

http://10.10.10.10:591

I get the Instant Web Publishing home page.  I select the database file, enter the user name and password, and in the layout, the Web Viewer displays the PDF file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next