1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2011 2:21 AM by CamelCase

Webviewer PDF crash Snow Leopard

user21370

Summary

Webviewer PDF crash Snow Leopard

Description of the issue

We have just installed Snow Leopard on our computers. Everything runs fine until we want to open a PDF file in the webviewer in Filemaker (v10). Sometimes it will open but most of the time Filemaker crashes. We didn't have the problem with 10.5.

• 1. Re: Webviewer PDF crash Snow Leopard
          michaelb_1
             I too am experiencing constant repeatable crashes on multiple databases with FMP 10 Advanced 10.3v3 after upgrading to snow leopard. The crashes have been traced to all my databases with layouts that use a web viewer window and the "file" construct. Apparently FMP is not happy about retrieving or displaying pdf files in a web viewer window.

My initial post went here before I found this particular thread:
          • 2. Re: Webviewer PDF crash Snow Leopard
            michaelb_1

After some more troubleshooting the web viewer causes crashes on all pdfs whether using file or http from localhost or pdfs from external web sites. :(

• 3. Re: Webviewer PDF crash Snow Leopard
              TSGal

Hans Rein and michaelb:

Thank you for the information.

Unfortunately, I cannot duplicate the problem.  I'm running Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and FileMaker Pro 10v3 Advanced.  I created a test file (Test.fp7) with three fields and a web viewer.  Using a static "file:///Users/xxxxx/Desktop/file.pdf" for the web viewer, everything works fine.  I then entered four different URL's into one of the fields and referenced the field in the web viewer.  Two entries were "http" and two were "file" constructs.  Still no problem displaying them.

I understand I have a simplistic case, and I bet there is another factor than just the web viewer.  If possible, I would like to see your files (clones are fine) so I can try to narrow down the possible cause(s).  I have sent each of you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the files.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Webviewer PDF crash Snow Leopard
                RickWhitelaw
                   I'm running FMPA 10.03 on Snow Leopard and have had absolutely no problems. Although this might not seem helpful, I'm NOT using a Web Viewer. This supports your narrowing down of the issue.
                • 5. Re: Webviewer PDF crash Snow Leopard
                  TSGal

michaelb:

I received your database file and PDF file.  I was unable to make the database crash using Snow Leopard, so there is something else happening with your system.  Since another person appears to be having a similar problem, it is probably a commonly used setting that I am overlooking.

I have sent a message to you through our Technical Support liaison which includes some screen shots, so look for that shortly.  If you have not received it by the end of today, please let me know, and I'll make sure it is sent to you immediately.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Webviewer PDF crash Snow Leopard
                    michaelb_1

Hmm...  I created a test file with one field and a web viewer hardcoded to localhost and a pdf file. It too crashes. So it is not the database itself.

What is strange is that the web viewer does display html, jpg, png files just fine. 

I am using Acrobat Pro as my default pdf reader, what are you using as a pdf reader? 

I wonder if it is the pdf file type that may be invoking my Acrobat Pro 9.1.3 pdf reader. Is there a way for FMP to not use the Acrobat Pro reader and use preview?

• 7. Re: Webviewer PDF crash Snow Leopard
                      michaelb_1
                         Ok sports fans, I found the culprit. It is the Adobe PDF Viewer version 9.1.0. I removed it "AdobePDFViewer.plugin" from Library/Internet Plug-Ins, and voila, the pdfs come up, no more crashes!
                      • 8. Re: Webviewer PDF crash Snow Leopard
                        michaelb_1

As a followup, I also tried Filemaker Pro 9. It too crashed while displaying pdfs using the Adobe PDF Viewer plugin.

After removing the AdobePDFViewer.plugin from the Library/Internet Plug-Ins folder, the web viewer apparently invokes the OS X default pdf reader which works fine.  

• 9. Re: Webviewer PDF crash Snow Leopard
                          TSGal

michaelb:

Thank you for the information.

I did not have the AdobePDFViewer plugin on my Snow Leopard system.  When I moved this from another Mac to this machine, I didn't get a crash, but the PDF images would not display and I was prompted for another compatible driver.

For everyone else viewing this post, can you try this out and report back? 

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 10. Re: Webviewer PDF crash Snow Leopard
                            TSGal

Hans Rein:

Thank you for sending in your file.  The movie is always helpful.

Unfortunately, I was unable to duplicate the problem.  HOWEVER, please try removing the PDF Viewer plug-in as suggested by "michaelb".  This file is located at:

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/AdobePDFViewer.plugin

Please let me know if this helps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 11. Re: Webviewer PDF crash Snow Leopard
                              user21370

That's the solution! I'am very happy!

Thank you! 

So it's not possible to use Acrobat Pro 9.1.3 to view in the webviewer. When I select in the setting this version the plugin comes back in folder and Filemaker crashes again.  

• 12. Re: Webviewer PDF crash Snow Leopard
                                TSGal

Hans Rein:

First, I am glad it is working.

It appears Acrobat Pro 9.1.x plugin is causing the problem.  I have sent the information to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review and confirmation.  For now, it is not possible to use this plug-in.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 13. Re: Webviewer PDF crash Snow Leopard
                                  user21370
                                     Thanks!
                                  • 14. Re: Webviewer PDF crash Snow Leopard
                                    djusmin
                                       I did the pdf removed and it still is crashing
                                    1 2 Previous Next