7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2014 7:12 AM by philmodjunk

When a text object has a script attached the Hide Object When calculation may be over-ridden

Malcolm

Summary

When a text object has a script attached the Hide Object When calculation may be over-ridden

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13.0v3

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.9.4

Description of the issue

I created a text object which should hide/reveal based on data conditions. I then added a script to the text object. The calculation box for the object was now empty. Adding a calculation is possible but it will not be used. The original calculation is used to determine hide/show status. At this point there are two "hide object" symbols displayed on the text object which reflected the fact that there are two hide object calculations attached to the object.

Steps to reproduce the problem

create a text object.
      apply a formula to hide the object.
      attach a script to the text object.
      Return to the hide object formula box to see if it is empty or not.
      Make a change to the formula.
      The text object will display two hide object symbols
      Select the text object and detach the script
      Return to the hide object formula box to see whether the original formula has returned.

Expected result

I expect that an object should only have one hide calculation. Adding extra attributes to an object, such as attaching a script, should enhance the original attributes, not mask them with a new set of attributes.

Actual result

The text object now had a different "hide object" state.

A change to the calculation in the dialog box wouldn't have any affect. The new calc would be saved but it wouldn't affect the display behaviour. The calc was associated with the button state but the calc associated with the text object was being used. The calc associated with the text object was being used but it was inaccessible. Any formula applied to the button state was not used.

The text object with the attached script will display two "hide object" icons (revealing the ghost in the machine!)

Workaround

detach the script.
      Modify the "hide object" calc
      attach the script.
      do nothing to the "hide object" formula.
      save.

Ghost_in_Machine.png

• 1. Re: When a text object has a script attached the Hide Object When calculation may be over-ridden
          philmodjunk

When you use Button Setup to turn a layout object such as your layout text into a button, you are grouping an invisible button object with your layout text. The Hide Object When setting for your layout text still exists and still functions. But it is no longer accessible in the inspector as the "hide object when" box now shows/sets this property for the group rather then the layout text that is part of the group.

If you were to select this text and ungroup it, you would destroy the button, but now your hide object when property is once again accessible in the Inspector.

The Object Name box in the inspector works the same way.

• 2. Re: When a text object has a script attached the Hide Object When calculation may be over-ridden
            Malcolm

Do you think this is desirable behaviour? It took a few hours working in the debugger to discover this. 

The issue is that the Inspector tools don't provide access to the all the objects. 

Malcolm

• 3. Re: When a text object has a script attached the Hide Object When calculation may be over-ridden
              philmodjunk

I don't work for FileMaker. I'm just a fellow user of this product explaining what you have encountered. You are not the first to report this, but it's not considered a bug at this time. I myself have pointed out that there needs to be a way to "drill down" into the object name and "Hide object" properties without needing to ungroup the object to do so.

• 4. Re: When a text object has a script attached the Hide Object When calculation may be over-ridden
                Malcolm

I didn't mean to be rude, my apologies. The question was voiced in curiosity. 

I'm calling it a bug, because the button object has been added invisibly it should be invisible in all respects. If I had created a button, formatted it to be invisible and grouped it with my text object then I would expect to see this sort of behaviour. 

FileMaker don't document this behaviour, so we can't be expected to know what is happening. 

Also, we have almost no control over the button. When I detach the script I'm not left with two objects. I'm only left with one object.

Here's what we've got.

. no documentation

. created "invisibly"

. deleted without warning

This object is created without the user's knowledge and it is invisible. However, when it is created it is positioned above the existing in the z-index which effectively masks the original object and prevents us from editing the properties of the original object. If the button was placed beneath the existing object in the z-index we would have access to the original object's properties.

• 5. Re: When a text object has a script attached the Hide Object When calculation may be over-ridden
                  TSGal

Malcolm Fitzgerald:

Thank you for your post.

The explanation by PhilModJunk is correct (Thank you).

Rather than creating a Text Object and grouping a button to it, create a Button as this includes the option to add Text or an image.  You can then add the  "Hide object when" condition.  If you still want a button but not the text, then keep the text object and the button separate, place the button over the text object, and use conditional formatting to set the fill to transparent so the text is visible through the button.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: When a text object has a script attached the Hide Object When calculation may be over-ridden
                    Malcolm

It is correct behaviour that when attaching a script to an object, the newly created, invisible button sits above the original object in the stacking order preventing us from accessing the properties of the original object? 

Thanks for the clarification. As this is the expected behaviour I'll file a feature request instead.

• 7. Re: When a text object has a script attached the Hide Object When calculation may be over-ridden
                      philmodjunk

It is correct behaviour that when attaching a script to an object, the newly created, invisible button sits above the original object in the stacking order preventing us from accessing the properties of the original object?

That's not quite what is happening. With the current inadequate layout design interface, you can access the object properties of the group, but not the individual items that make up that group--this is the same behavior regardless of visibility and stacking order as far as I know. You have ungroup in order to access the properties for the individual objects but this destroys the button object so we have an undesirable complication to our workflow here.