1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 2, 2013 4:09 PM by philmodjunk

When changing a calculation in Database Manager, Database Manager hangs up when trying to close out

piersonpackdad

Summary

When changing a calculation in Database Manager, Database Manager hangs up when trying to close out

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7 home premium

Description of the issue

This only seems to happen when the calculation has been added and data has been input into the database and then the calculation field is changed. this has also happened when changing a field from global status to non-global. In each case every change seems to enter in without issue but when I try to exit out of database manager it hangs up and I have to force the entire FileMaker program to close. So no changes actually take place.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Take a database with data and try to change a calculation or global status then close the database manager to save the changes.

Expected result

The database manager to accept the changes and recalculate the database.

Actual result

The database manager will clear the fields from view and then hang if you press any other button the window will show (not responding) press it again and a dialog box will appear asking if you want to wait or force the program to close. I have waited for over an hour it does not change or respond. forcing the close is my only option.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

I do not get a FileMaker Error code it just hangs

Configuration information

This seems to be a problem with all of my converted and or originated FileMaker 12 databases.

Workaround

there is no work around once a database is created there are some things I just am not able to change. So maybe a work around is to rebuild the entire database each time I decide to add functionality to it.

• 1. Re: When changing a calculation in Database Manager, Database Manager hangs up when trying to close out
          philmodjunk

I can work successfully with Windows 7 and FileMaker 12. You might try:

1.           Run a utility to confirm that hard drive is in good shape
          3.           Create a new user account and use it to test a brand new file to see if this still happens. (Your other files might have file damage either before the crash or as a result of a crash.)
          5.           Run Recover on your files to see if any issues are reported.
          7.           Re-install Filemaker 12 and be sure to run the updaters afterwards if such are needed.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
          3.           Recover does not detect all problems
          5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).