8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2013 11:08 AM by jacksrmd

When I create a new record, all of the other records in the table have the their field contents...

jacksrmd

Summary

When I create a new record, all of the other records in the table have the their field contents DELETED

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0v3

Operating system version

Windows XP, sp3

Description of the issue

When I create a record,

-by Selecting NEW under the Record Menu or
      -by Using a Script or
      -by clicking on the NEW Button

all 5,134 previous records have their field contents DELETED.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a New Record

Expected result

New record is created and all other previous records are intact.

Actual result

All other previous records have their field contents DELETED.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error message appears.

Workaround

None.

• 1. Re: When I create a new record, all of the other records in the table have the their field contents...
          philmodjunk

What exactly are you looking at when you see that all these fields have suddently had their contents deleted?

Do any progress bars pop up when you create the new records and data disappears?

If you have FileMaker Advanced, or know someone that does, try enabling the script debugger and then try adding a new record to see if any scripts pop up in the debugger.

If you create a brand new layout based on this table, use show all records and table view to examine all the records, do you still see the data as missing? (this can rule out issues with the design of your layout.)

If you create a brand new, small sample test file, does it show the same behavior? (if not, this suggests that there is an issue with your file)

If the test file works normally, try recovering your file and test the recovered copy--even if it reports no problems found to see if you still get these results in the recovered copy.

• 2. Re: When I create a new record, all of the other records in the table have the their field contents...
            jacksrmd

1.  I've created a clone based on a solution.

2.  I import all the records from excel spreadsheets into 5 tables.

3.  I use the script debugger and there is no script running when I select NEW record under RECORDS.

4.  I'm able to create a new record and the current record shows the information from the related fields from the other tables.

5.  0 progress bars popup; 
                       when i create a new layout with table view - SHOW ALL RECORDS , all fields are still BLANK except for the 1 just created;
                       I tried recovery and it found no errors/problems, but I'll try using the recovered version to see if i have the same problems.

6.  As soon as I click on the GO TO THE PREVIOUS RECORD button at the top of the screen, all of the field contents except 1 field (the auto generated record number) are removed from the system.  I then have 5,175 records that only have the record number value.  BUT  this blanking effect for the related fields is only on 1 layout.  When I look back at the original table information and other layouts - ALL of the information is there!!!

• 3. Re: When I create a new record, all of the other records in the table have the their field contents...
              philmodjunk

I import all the records from excel spreadsheets into 5 tables.

If you then review each table and inspect the data, do you see the data has been successfully imported into your table?

You meantion 5 tables in your last post. Do the other 4 tables show correct data after the 5,175 records go blank?

I've created a clone based on a solution.

Sorry but that's now quite what I meant by creating a small test file. I am suggesting that you create a small file with a fiew fields using New Database. Then import data into the table of this new file and then create a new record to see if the data disappears in this completely new test file.

This is not intended to replace your original file, but is a diagnostic test to confirm or rule out that the issue is internal to the specific file that you are working with.

• 4. Re: When I create a new record, all of the other records in the table have the their field contents...
                jacksrmd

It's the nuttiest thing ever :(    atleast 10 previous versions of the file work fine UNTIL I create a clone and do a FRESH import of information. AND the blanking of related fields only happens on that 1 CRAZY table.   Another layout that has portals to the CRAZY TABLE still shows the information correctly even though the information is blanked out on the other layout!!!  This definitely sounds like my file is corrupt.

• 5. Re: When I create a new record, all of the other records in the table have the their field contents...
                  philmodjunk

I agree.

See what happens if you use Recover to produce a recovered copy of the file. Test the recovered copy even if recover does not report finding any problems with your file.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
                  3.           Recover does not detect all problems
                  5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
                  7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).

• 6. Re: When I create a new record, all of the other records in the table have the their field contents...
                    jacksrmd

I appreciate all the assistance that you have provided Phil!!!

Thank you very much!!!

I've been down this path before with recovering from a corrupted file and using clones.  The only drawback I find is sifting through the many clones I have and which version is not corrupt.  then the best part...

-  Recreating any and all (fields, layouts, and scripts) that existed in the latest version but not the previous version
                         -  Modifying any and all (fields, layouts, and scripts) that had been changed since the previous version
                         -  Recovery is only good for the data; fortunately / unfortunately for me my solution has been in DEVELOPMENT for the last 5 months.  Data isn't my problem if/when the system gets nutty.  Its DESIGN :(

It's like a BACK TO THE FUTURE session (what's the current version of what was - REBUILD IT / MODIFY IT / DELETE IT )  :(  ALTERNATE TIME LINE

• 7. Re: When I create a new record, all of the other records in the table have the their field contents...
                      philmodjunk

This is why I use a couple of scripts that automatically save timestamped copies of my file every 15 minutes during development. Not only does this protect me from the unlikely event of a damaged file, but also protects me from "developer's remorse"--that's when you get a grand idea for a change to your database, make a bunch of design changes and then realize that this grand idea wasn't so grand after all...

See this thread about my "Developer's Friend" scripts: Saving Sequential Back Ups During Development

• 8. Re: When I create a new record, all of the other records in the table have the their field contents...
                        jacksrmd

I've resolved my problem.  :)   It was user error.  I was tired.

It was based on the way I was importing the EXCEL spreadsheet.  Once I selected DISPLAY NAMED RANGES, everything was fine.

But in reality, it was fine when I selected DISPLAY WORKSHEETS.  Except, when the records imported, atleast 1,200 records were blank.  But I didn't know this & I couldn't see them even when I selected to view them in table mode.  When i switched to the layout that used the table, it was on record#1.  Record#1 - 4,###  had data.  4,0001+ was blank.  Therefore when I created a new record, filemaker would jump to the last record after the last blank record.  Scrolling to previous record data would be blank for 1,000+ records. Viewing in table in mode after I created a new record,  filemaker would jump to the last record after the last blank record and I can only see 20-50 records (but they would be blank).

So everyone be mindful, when something is nutty scroll from the beginning to the end & the end to the beginning.