5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2011 10:24 AM by TSGal

When replacing existing file Export field contents doesn't fully replace it.

TomHays

Summary

When replacing existing file Export field contents doesn't fully replace it.

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v2

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.6.4

Description of the issue

Export field contents doesn't properly replace the entire field contents when choosing to replace an existing file.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Start with a non-empty text file (myFile.txt) on your computer.

Insert by reference a different file (mySmallerFile.txt) into a container field. This file is non-empty and contains fewer bytes than myFile.txt.

Export field contents and chose to replace myFile.txt in the dialog.

Expected result

The resulting myFile.txt file should only contain the contents of mySmallerFile.txt.

Actual result

The resulting myFile.txt is the same length as the original myFile.txt and contains the entire contents of mySmallerFile.txt plus the last part of the original contents of myFile.txt.

• 1. Re: When replacing existing file Export field contents doesn't fully replace it.
          TomHays

This bug does not occur with FM 10.0v3 running on the same machine under Mac OS X 10.6.4.

This bug does not occur with FM 11.0v2 running on Windows XP SP3.

The bug appears to be specific to FM 11 running on Mac OS X.

• 2. Re: When replacing existing file Export field contents doesn't fully replace it.
            TSGal

TheTominator:

Thank you for your posts.

I am unable to replicate the problem using FileMaker Pro 11.0v2 under Mac OS X 10.6.5.  Here are the steps I took.

1. I created a Text file, myFile.txt, with four words ("This is a test.").

2. I created another Text file, mySmallerFile.txt, with one word ("TSGal").

3. I created a database file (Test.fp7), one table, with the following two fields:
            Name (Text)
            Container (Container)

4. In the first record, I put my cursor in "Container", pulled down the Insert menu and selected "File...".  I attached the file mySmallerFile.txt and checked the option "Store only a reference to the file".

5. I added several names until I had 15 names.

6. I pulled down the File menu and selected "Export Records..."

7. Under "Save as:", I entered "myFile.txt" (wihtout the quotes).  For "Type:", I select Tab-Separated Text.  When I clicked "Save", I received the message  that "myFile.txt already exists.  Do you want to replace it?".  I click Replace, I move over the Name field and click "Export".

When I open myFile.txt, only those names appear.  "This is a test" does not appear.

Please let me know what I'm doing differently than you, and I'll try to replicate the problem.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: When replacing existing file Export field contents doesn't fully replace it.
              TomHays

Hi TSGal,

Thank you for following up on this.

The difference is in step 6.  (Note that step 5 isn't needed since only one container field on one record is needed.)

6.  Control-click (or Right click) on the container field.  Choose "Export Field Contents..." from the pop-up menu.

You were testing the Export Records command.  The bug is in the Export Field Contents command.

• 4. Re: When replacing existing file Export field contents doesn't fully replace it.
                TSGal

TheTominator:

Sorry for the late reply, but thank you for the additional information.

I am able to replicate the problem with FileMaker Pro 11 on both Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard) and Mac OS X 10.6.5 (Snow Leopard).  It works as expected on Windows XP.

I can confirm your findings that his problem does not exist under FileMaker Pro 10.

I have forwarded your post along with my findings to our Development and Product Management departments for review and confirmation.  I will keep you posted as information becomes available to me.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: When replacing existing file Export field contents doesn't fully replace it.
                  TSGal

TheTominator:

Sorry for the late reply.

Our Testing team was able to replicate the problem, and it has been sent to Development for further review.  No other information is available.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.