4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2013 4:16 PM by rouelf_1

Will Not Embed Files in Container, fp7 to fmp12, "Insert" Open Storage used.

rouelf_1

Summary

Will Not Embed Files in Container, fp7 to fmp12, "Insert" Open Storage used.

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FMP 12 Adv

Operating system version

OSX and Windows XP

Description of the issue

Converted an fp7 solution to fmp12. Converted containers to external, open storage. Inserted files using Insert File script step, set-up containers (22 per record, many TO) with the "Insert" option (no Reference). Though the save copy as Self-Contained (Single Copy) performs the save, the containers are not deactivated from external storage, and therefore files are not transferred to embed in containers.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Did: 1) Save compacted, 2) Ran recover, no problems found. 3) Saved clone. 4) Re-populated all fields, and containers with "Insert" storage option. 5) Still saves using the Self-Contained (single-Copy), but files are still not embeded in the containers. External Storage will not disengage. Boldly I say, all is not quite right with conversion of complex fp7 solutions.

Expected result

Embed files in containers for transferring to iOS, of course a runtime should also be able to use Save A Copy As ... Self-Contained (Single Copy).

Actual result

No embedding of files in containers. Tried on latest OSX an Windows XP.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No Error Messages.

Workaround

1) Work around is to manually dissengage every container field, not good for disseminating and clients to transfer a runtime to iOS devices.

2) Not use External Storage, and use scripts to change from Reference to files, to Actual embed, files ala FMP11 Adv capability.

• 1. Re: Will Not Embed Files in Container, fp7 to fmp12, "Insert" Open Storage used.
          philmodjunk

The issue may lie with the fact that your file is converted from the older format. When I have tested this issue previously with a brand new file created in FileMaker 12, I can't reproduce this.

• 2. Re: Will Not Embed Files in Container, fp7 to fmp12, "Insert" Open Storage used.
            rouelf_1

Thanks Phil,  that is my conclusion at this time. I tried a conversion from fp7 to fmp12, with a relatively simple file. It all works well in fmp12. Files in containers can be embed by saving a self-contained copy. But I suspect a complex fmp file, with ~ 100 or more Table Ocurrences and interconected TO, something may go kaput on conversion to fmp12. This is the only solution I have that is so complex, actually is the only FM solution I have made.

Don't know if any one else has ran into this as an issue. Hoping a Filemaker person can provide some type of feedback.

You seem to be everywhere in these forums, thanks for all your help in the past, good luck in your other life pursuits, but first you must break the FM Forum addiction :) Enjoy,

• 3. Re: Will Not Embed Files in Container, fp7 to fmp12, "Insert" Open Storage used.
              philmodjunk

Unless I am talking to the same person who raised this issue in the FMPro Forum a while back, you are the second person that I know of to report being unable to save a self contained copy from a converted file. They found that a simple test file worked fine so I suggested that there may be an issue with the file.

Just to rule out possible issues, you might recover a copy of the file and test it to see if that makes any difference. You might even recover the original using fileMaker 11 and then convert the file to see what happens.

• 4. Re: Will Not Embed Files in Container, fp7 to fmp12, "Insert" Open Storage used.
                rouelf_1

Same person, recovering the original is a good suggestion. After transfer, I did save as Compact, Recover, and then Clone. But doing it first in FM 11 is a good idea. Will check it out. Thanks.

BTW, I posted it as an issue to see if Fillemaker may comeback with a response.