Will not find a number with a hyphen in the middle

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12 with all updateds

Operating system version

Windows

Description of the issue

If you perform a find with just a hyphen "-" it will not find any records when the text field is number with the hyphen in the located in with the string of number. Such as 123-123, 123-1234.
      link to a post from the forum pertaining to the matter
      http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/1803664cf9?page=2

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a Text field
      Create a few test records with a number with a hyphen located in the number.  123-1234
      Enter find mode
      put a hyphen - in the search box
      perform find

Expected result

Found all records with a - located in the text field being searched

Actual result

No records are being found

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error messages

Configuration information

NA

• 1. Re: Will not find a number with a hyphen in the middle

S Chamblee:

Thank you for the post.

In FileMaker Pro 7 and later the hyphen, colon, and forward slash are treated as word separators unless both characters adjacent to the separator are numerals.

For more information see:

Knowledge Base 3440, Word Separators in FileMaker Pro

If the hyphen starts the beginning of the record's text or a space is placed before or after the hyphen, then the hyphen will be found by the find. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Will not find a number with a hyphen in the middle
            philmodjunk

We are reporting what happens when the hyphen is NOT a word separator. The knowledge base article does not apply to what we are describing.

If the data in the field is:

345-567

the hyphen is not a word separator and there is no criteria that we can figure out to use in this field to find that record by specifying the hyphen.

entering just - fails
                 entering *-* fails
                 entering *"-"* fails

If the hyphen starts the beginning of the record's text or a space is placed before or after the hyphen, then the hyphen will be found by the find.

Yes, we know that, the link provided documents the efforts of a whole group of us determinng exactly that detail, but it doesn't explain the issue here.

And when it IS a word separator, then we CAN find the record and we have no issue to report...

As a work around, it's possible to set up a calculation field that returns 1 if PatternCount detects the hyphen and then you can perform a find specifying criteria in the calculation field instead of the original text field.

• 3. Re: Will not find a number with a hyphen in the middle

PhilModJunk:

Thank you for the additional feedback.

If text field 1 contains 123 and 2 is the search, then no results will be returned. This is also true for 1-3 because the "-" is not a word separator. 

"1-3" is treated as a single item string. 

Alternatively, if text field 1 contains A-C, then FileMaker sees  "A", "-", and "C" as separate item strings and will find any of the three when searched.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Will not find a number with a hyphen in the middle
                philmodjunk

I swear I was getting different results earlier.blush And note that this is consistant with the original post here.

Note my use of wild cards. I can find a field with 2 if I use *2* as my find criteria and a record with 123 will be found. If I searched for *-*, I was sure that 1-3 would not be found but I made a few more tests on this and I find that if I specify *-*, I do find the correct records such as 1-3.

I then ran some tests on a number field

with 1-3, I could still find the record with *-* in this number field

Only with text on both sides of the - like you said will the criteria fail to find the record and this is due to the fact that no record separators can be found by specifying find criteria.

While I will agree that this is not a "bug" per se. I will still maintain that not being able to find word separators via a find criterion that would find that text if it were not a word separator is not desirable behavior.

Now to report back to the original thread...

• 5. Re: Will not find a number with a hyphen in the middle
                  philmodjunk

This also should be documented in FileMaker Help.