Summary

WIndow Move/Resize still a problem in FM12

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac OSX

Description of the issue

With dual monitors, Move/Resize Window limits setting height of window to the height of the Main Screen. This is a pain when the height of the Secondary Screen exceeds that of the Main Screen (such as when using a hi res projector with a laptop). This problem was reported with FM11. Still not fixed in FM12. C'mon guys, you have had years to fix this!

I have not checked this with Windows, but believe the problem exists there, too.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Set up dual monitors with the screen size of the Main Screen less than that of the Secondary Screen. Open a window on the Secondary Screen. Use Move/Resize Window with window height set to that of the Secondary Screen.

Expected result

Window height should increase to fill the entire Secondary Screen.

Actual result

Window height limited to height of Main Screen.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

N.A.

Configuration information

See above - Main Screen (one with menu bar) height must be less than that of Secondary Screen.

Workaround

None

• 1. Re: WIndow Move/Resize still a problem in FM12
          benlevi

I would like to second this issue, except mine is with the placement of the window on one of my screens. I want to place a window in the lower right corner of the screen, but the Move/Resize Window script step doesn't seem to work properly. I have a big external monitor and my laptop monitor in a dual monitor setup. The window is on the laptop, and I want to move it to the lower right corner of the laptop, but when I put in values to do this, it jumps to my big monitor. Is there a fix for this bug? I assume FM is aware of it, as it's been around for several versions (I'm using FM13).

• 2. Re: WIndow Move/Resize still a problem in FM12
            TSGal

Ben Levi:

Thank you for your post.

Is the main monitor smaller or larger than the external monitor?

Is the external monitor situated to the left, right, above or below the main monitor?

If the external monitor is situated to the left or right of the main monitor, is the external monitor top-aligned, center-aligned, or bottom aligned to the main monitor?

What are the screen dimensions of the monitors?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: WIndow Move/Resize still a problem in FM12
              benlevi

1280x800 13" Retina Laptop monitor is on the left (see enclosed), bottom aligned with 1920x1080 24" external monitor on right.

• 4. Re: WIndow Move/Resize still a problem in FM12
                TSGal

Ben Levi:

Thank you for the information.

I do not have access to a two-monitor system, so I'll need more information.

If you manually place the window in the bottom right corner of the main monitor, what values do you get via Get (WindowLeft), Get (WindowTop), Get (WindowHeight) and Get (WindowWidth)?  Do these values coincide to the values you entered for Move/Resize Window options?

Do you notice at what point do the screen values shift the window to the external monitor?

When the window shifts to the external monitor, what are the values of Get (WindowLeft), Get (WindowTop), Get (WindowHeight) and Get (WindowWidth)?

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: WIndow Move/Resize still a problem in FM12
                  benlevi

Thanks for the suggestion about the Get functions. It works when I use a negative number for the WindowLeft in the Move/Resize script step. A positive number for WindowLeft puts the window on the monitor with the menu bar; a negative number for WindowLeft puts the window on the other monitor.