Summary

Window positioning not working in Yosemite

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Yosemite

Description of the issue

Adjust Window [Resize] causes window position to jump around unpredictably. Get (WindowLeft) + X px not working. FMPro 13 on MacBookPro Retina 15 running Yosemite with secondary monitor attached.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Set Layout to open script OnLayoutEnter. Script sets window position to open at Top=0 and Left + 700. Give any Layout an Adjust Window in a script that opens OnLayout enter and the window position changes erratically.

Expected result

Open window at top, 700px from left

Actual result

Opens at bottom left of secondary monitor.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

none. Window positioning not working

Configuration information

FMPro 13 on MacBookPro Retina 15 running Yosemite with secondary monitor attached.

Workaround

none

• 1. Re: Window positioning not working in Yosemite
          TSGal

Stan Kaneshige:

Thank you for your post.

I currently don't have access to a secondary monitor, so I need to ask a few questions before sending this to Development and Testing.

1. What are the screen resolutions for the primary and secondary monitors?

2. Is the secondary monitor set to the left, right, top or bottom of the primary monitor?  If the resolutions are different between the monitors, and the secondary monitor is set to the left or right of the primary monitor, is the secondary monitor aligned top or bottom to the primary monitor?

3. Is there any issue if only one monitor is used?

If you have a sample file with a script, I would like to use it to help expedite the testing process.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Window positioning not working in Yosemite
            TSGal

Stan Kaneshige:

I received your file, along with the answers to my questions.  Thank you.

I have sent the file, along with your instructions, to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Window positioning not working in Yosemite
              TSGal

Stan Kaneshige:

My apologies for the late reply.

The cause of the window snapping to the lower left corner is due to the script step "Adjust Window [Resize to Fit]" when clicking "Stations" or "Projects".  However, if you click the green + button in the upper left corner of the same window, it will also snap the window to the lower left corner.  Mac OS X 10.10 now snaps a window to the bottom left corner on second screen as a default behavior, so you will see this does not occur when running under Mac OS X 10.9 or earlier.

Until this behavior changes, use the actual coordinates rather than Resize to Fit.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Window positioning not working in Yosemite
                Benjamin Fehr

not sure if I got this right but …

a sequence with 2 Script-Steps:

- window position at Top=0 and Left + 700.

- Adjust Window in a script that opens OnLayout enter and the window position changes erratically.

If you switch order of script steps, the adjust window task brings window to a snafu position, which doesn't matter, when this task is followed by a position task to set window to 0 / +700 pixel?!

What TSGal mentioned is that we're probably dealing with a Mac misbehaviour and not a FMP bug