Summary

Window-Guides (pre-definied window sizes) wrong

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

OSX 10.7.3

Description of the issue

The window-guides are displaying the inner-window, without frames, toolbar etc. Since You'll never have a window without borders/frames, this function is useless... especially if You have the tools 'on'

Steps to reproduce the problem

check it usings scripts, using a screen-ruler

Expected result

The windows as it appears on a screen - incl. frames, toolbar, etc... say, I got a 1024x768 display -> then I need a FileMaker window that fits my screen. Measuring the 'inner' window won't help here

Actual result

the pure content of a window without boders, toolbar

Workaround

enter different numbers...

• 1. Re: Window-Guides (pre-definied window sizes) wrong
          TSGal

markus schneider:

Thank you for your post.

Get (WindowContentHeight) and Get (WindowContentWidth) returns the area inside the Window, and it takes into account the Status Toolbar and Formatting Bar.  Get (WindowHeight) and Get (WindowWidth) returns the size of the window regardless of the Status Toolbar and Formatting Bar.  Get (WindowDesktopHeight) and Get (WindowsDektop Width) returns the size of your display.  In your case, it would return 1024 x 768.

Therefore, to set the window for your screen size, in your script step, use:

Move/Resize Window [ Current window ; Height: Get (WindowDesktopHeight) ; Width: Get (WindowDesktopWidth) ; Top: 0 ; Left: 0 ]

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Window-Guides (pre-definied window sizes) wrong
            Markus Schneider

Thank You very much for Your answer,

Yes - I'm aware of the functions - but I think that the 'guides' won't help much since they show only the 'inside' part of the window

• 3. Re: Window-Guides (pre-definied window sizes) wrong
              TSGal

markus schneider:

Thank you for the clarification.

The screen stencils icon do not indicate the actual area that can be used, as it doesn't take into account the Status Toolbar, scroll bars, etc.  The useable layout space as defined by the screen stencils is less.

For more information, even though the article is more geared towards iOS, see Knowledge Base Article #10678

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10678

This confusion has been previously reported (not by someone on the forum), and I have attached your post to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will let you know.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.