Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v3

Operating system version

Windows 7 64 bit

Description of the issue

Same as : http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/9d246f968f

The database is stored on the server. It prints (To any of the many network printers) fine from our Windows XP machines.
      On any windows 7 machine we get the same problems as the other thread but we also get the other errors shown in the attached photo.

EDIT: The problem doesn't occur when trying to print from Notepad, Paint or the Office Suite.
      Running FileMaker in XP 32bit compatibility mode doesn't help.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Select print or run any script with the print command on a windows 7 64 bit machine.

Expected result

Print

Actual result

Print driver host for 32bit application error
      Printing Cannot continue because the printer isn't connected to a port.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Print driver host for 32bit applications has stopped working.
      Printing Cannot continue because the printer isn't connected to a port.Use the control panel to set up a port.

Configuration information

Windows 7 64-bit machines are the only ones that seem to have this problem.
      Windows XP machines work fine.

Workaround

Print using a Windows XP machine but this is unacceptable as we need it to work on all of our computer.

Win7FilemakerPrintIssue_D.jpg

• 1. Re: Windows 7 64bit Printer Issue
          philmodjunk

If you launch a different application on the windows 7 machine, such as MS Windows and try to print to this same network machine, does it work or do you get the same error?

I'm guessing you'll get the same error due to trying to get a 64bit system to use the 32bit printer driver to print to the networked machine.

Windows 7 comes with a "32 bit compatibility mode" have you tried using it?

• 2. Re: Windows 7 64bit Printer Issue
            SB_1

Hi and thanks for the reply.

Notepad, Paint and any program from the office suite all print just fine to any of the many network printers. 

I will update once IT have come with the admin password and tried running in 32 bit compatability mode.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Windows 7 64bit Printer Issue
              SB_1

Running in XP 32bit Compatability mode doesn't solve the problem. Any other ideas?

Cheers

• 4. Re: Windows 7 64bit Printer Issue
                philmodjunk

Not really, you might check the printer manufacturer for any driver updates.

I've been able to print from Windows 7 to several different computers, but they were all local and have only needed to print to a very small number of printers so that isn't much of a test sample here.

• 5. Re: Windows 7 64bit Printer Issue
                  Steve Wright

I had a similar issue on a clients machine, see my post here : Printing can not continue...use control panel to set up a port

So far, the client has not had the issue since, in my case anyway.

You may notice, in my original post that I stated I removed and re-installed the printer and ports..
                  However, I think the key here was the first thing I did was to print from FileMaker and not any other application.

Why.... no idea, but hope it helps !

• 6. Re: Windows 7 64bit Printer Issue
                    SB_1

Thanks for the ideas SWS.

I have asked IT to come and try that as I need their admin password.

I have managed to get it to print now by turning off the Print without dialoge option in my script.I noticed this because when I fisit started FileMaker I could print if I went File > Print but not if I used my script. Any time after using my print script I was unable to go File > Print without getting the error.

Now I have turned Print without dialogue off I have had no issues. 

I will however get IT to come try your suggestions as it would be ideal if we could print without the dialouge box coming up.

Cheers.

• 7. Re: Windows 7 64bit Printer Issue
                      philmodjunk

Perhaps the print script needs to be updated to specify a different printer(driver)...

• 8. Re: Windows 7 64bit Printer Issue
                        SB_1

Thanks.

You seem to be right. When we installed the printer I just went into scripts and changed it to the new printer. From then on we seemed to have the problem with all printers. 

I have now gone and made the same script from scratch now that the latest drivers are installed and it can print from the script no problem. 

Thanks for your help everyone.