Windows Filemaker won't see remote files on Macintosh host

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

v9 client v11 host

Operating system version

Windows 7 Pro 64bit and Macintosh 10.6.8

Description of the issue

I go "Open Remote", the Macintosh host machine shows up consistently and constantly, but no files are listed.

Steps to reproduce the problem

I am on the same subnet/IP range, I have updated Filemaker on all machines to their latest versions, I've downloaded and installed Bonjour for Windows, I've disabled my firewall, and also verified that the firewall will let Bonjour and Filemaker through. No files show up. I've renamed the files to not have any characters that Windows wouldn't allow.

• 1. Re: Windows Filemaker won't see remote files on Macintosh host
          TSGal

Peter Gugeler:

Thank you for your post.

Although not mentioned in your post, I want to make sure the files being hosted have Network Settings set to either "All users" or "Specify users by privilege set".  Also, make sure there is no checkmark in the checkbox below that for "Don't display in Open Remote File dialog".  These are two common scenarios when users have trouble displaying files.

Try going the opposite way.  That is, host a file on the client machine, and see if the Maciintosh host machine can see the file on the Windows machine.

If you have more than one Windows machine with FileMaker Pro running, can they see each other's hosted files?  How about the Macintosh machines?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Windows Filemaker won't see remote files on Macintosh host
            philmodjunk

This might be the reason:

For More Information see:     FMP installer does not install server.pem file

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    http://www.4shared.com/file/8orL8apk/FMP_Bugs.html

• 3. Re: Windows Filemaker won't see remote files on Macintosh host
              PeterGugeler

Hello to you both. Many thanks for your assistence. I tried reversing the host to me and the client to the remote, but in the attempt, i was given the error about not being able to share because another user was already sharing... on my own computer! With only one user installed! 

Anyway that led me to another forum post, and again the server.pem error came up. I disabled IPv6 first just in case, and emptied the local files, but no good. So I downloaded the server.pem file as PhilModJunk pointed out, and the problem is solved. The big clue was that I looked at the server.pem file size and it was a KB small. I didn't think it would make a difference, but I stand corrected.

Many thanks again!