1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 17, 2009 12:50 PM by TSGal

Windows FMP 10 installation issue: Open shared databases remotely using URL

swisskent

Summary

Windows FMP 10 installation issue: Open shared databases remotely using URL

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved:FileMaker Pro 10.0v1 Operating System(s) involved:Windows XP, Windows Server 2003  Detailed description of the issue:Our database users normally open their database with a desktop URL icon which uses the "Open shared databases remotely using URL" feature.  The database launcher file has the URL embedded in it (e.g. FMP7://192.168.10.0/My+Addresses.fp7).   When upgrading from FileMaker Pro 9 to FileMaker Pro 10 on a Maintenance license, I installed FMP 10 first, then uninstalled FMP 9.  The database launcher works with FMP 10 prior to uninstalling FMP 9.  After removing FMP 9, it stops working.  It seems that uninstalling FMP 9 removes the "FMP7" protocol from the Windows Registry. Exact steps to reproduce the issue: 1.  Verify FileMaker Pro 9 is already installed on the user's computer. 2.  Using a web browser, create a desktop database launcher using the FileMaker protocol (e.g. FMP7://192.168.10.0/My+Addresses.fp7) that points to a hosted database on FileMaker Server 10; verify the launcher works. 3.  Install FileMaker Pro 10. 4.  Verify the database launcher works with FMP 10. 5.  Uninstall FileMaker Pro 9. 6.  Verify the launcher no longer works with the OS; you should receive an error message stating the FMP7 protocol is not recognized by the OS. Expected Result:When following the instructions to upgrade from FileMaker Pro 9 to 10, the FMP7 protocol should be retained by the Windows Registry without having to perform a "Modify" installation (i.e. a reinstall) of the FileMaker Pro 10 software. Actual Result:Windows OS does not recognize the FMP7 protocol to open shared databases remotely using URL. Exact text of any error message(s) that appeared:(paraphrased):  The FMP7 protocol is not recognized by the OS.   Any additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issue:N/A Any workarounds that you have found:As a last step, if I perform a "Modify" installation of FileMaker Pro 10, the feature works again.