Windows resizing in Windows

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Any

Operating system version

Windows XP, Vista, Win 7

Description of the issue

Loss of window maximisation on changing screen or returning to a window after closing another window.
      I get the two blue window headers ie one for the application and one for the file.
      I have to suffix every navigation script with the "maximise window' step.
      If a new window is popped up ie a small scripted find screen, the application remember the size and changes the /default' size to that smaller window.
      This has been an issue on FileMaker for Windows since the very first day.
      :(
      I have been writing FM databases  since 1990 and this drives me up the wall.
      If I keep asking will it get more attention?
      :)

Steps to reproduce the problem

Maximise a screen, then pop up a new smaller window and then close it again, the original window behind has shrunk, obscuring screen elements

Expected result

I want my original window to stay maximised

Actual result

the windows loses maximisation and show the two window headers ie one for app, one for the document.
      On Mac OS X, this has never been a problem

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

n/a

Configuration information

All windows all the time

Workaround

add maximise screen to every navigation step

• 1. Re: Windows resizing in Windows
          TSGal

NZPatrick:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.

This is the intended behavior of Windows, and I'm well aware this is different than Mac OS.  I would encourage you to enter this information into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

These web entry suggestions are read by our Development and Product Management departments where they are then discussed and considered for a future release.  Although I could copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are some additional questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Windows resizing in Windows
            philmodjunk

This is the intended behavior of Windows...

That's never made sense to me. The uncontrolled nature of the resize leave developers with the need to add extra window manipulation steps not needed in Mac or you have to insit on using non-maximized windows which have always looked awkward and unprofessional to me.

• 3. Re: Windows resizing in Windows
              NZPatrick

Hi!

This "intended behaviour" makes no sense at all.

TSGal , I realise there is a company line to be followed and so I shall post this to the feature suggestions again. Thanks!

I encourage anyone reading this to follow the link above if you feel the same !

I publish several shrink wrap packages This is probably my biggest headache, every navigational step has to be suffixed with a zoom window, as said above it just doesn't look professional!

I can't believe this is in the "too hard basket" for the engineers, it's been there for twenty years !!!

Thanks TSGal, Happy new year!