Summary

Windows scroll repositions when editing script

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows

Description of the issue

When editing a script the scroll position of the window changes when adding a new script step, deleting a step, or committing a change to a script step property.

This is very confusing and makes it difficult to track where you were editing or what changed, particularly when deleting part of an if or loop, which causes the script steps to shift in addition to the window scrolling.

Steps to reproduce the problem

1. Create a script which is 2-3x the length of the script editor window

2. Scroll the script editor window to somewhere in the middle of the script

3. Click a script step in the middle of the window somewhere.

4. Press Return/Enter to add a new line or press delete to delete a script step

Expected result

The window scroll position should remain the same, and the script steps should shift slightly within the window. The script step and your selected line should remain in roughly the same place

Actual result

The window scrolls to a new position. The script step you were working on is now in a significantly different place in your window.

picture.png

• 1. Re: Windows scroll repositions when editing script
          TSGal

David Nahodyl:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.

Using FileMaker Pro 14.0.1 under Windows 7, I am unable to replicate the issue.  I have a script that is 55 lines long.  When I display lines 18-48, place my cursor in line 30 and press return, the screen does not shift, and I'm at blank line 31.  If I place my cursor back in line 30 and press shift-return, all lines move down and I'm at blank line 30.

What version of Windows are you using?  Are you able to replicate this issue with other scripts?  Is there any other information you can provide that will help me replicate the issue?

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Windows scroll repositions when editing script
            Smef

I found out some more information about this! It looks like it's not a problem with single-line scrip steps, but the position is moved when there are many two-line script steps. I made a brand new file and a script and filled it with a long script step and was able to reproduce it It was not an issue when I used a short, blank, Set Variable script step, but the long script step had the problem. It seems like the position is further off from where it should be based on the number of two-line script steps.

I did this testing on Windows 8.1 and Windows 7.

• 3. Re: Windows scroll repositions when editing script
              TSGal

David Nahodyl:

Thank you for the information.

I am now able to replicate the issue.  When I press return, the cursor jumps down a few lines (not to the bottom).  For example, if I have 50 lines of "Go to Related Record", scroll the window to the middle so only lines 18-33 are displayed, and then highlight line 25 (near the middle) and press return, the cursor jumps down correctly to line 26, but line 21 now displays where line 25 existed, and I'm showing lines 14-30.

I cannot replicate the issue under Mac OS X 10.10.3.

I have sent your post and sample file to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Windows scroll repositions when editing script
                Smef

Great! It's not that it's necessarily jumping to any particular place, it's that it seems to expect each script step to be only one line, and when some script steps are two lines long it doesn't take it into account for how the window needs to be repositioned, and so it positions where it would be if all of the script steps were only taking up one line.

I believe this is why the more two-line script steps you have the larger the shift amount when you add a new line in.

Thank you for following up on this.

• 5. Re: Windows scroll repositions when editing script
                  TSGal

David Nahodyl:

Our Development and Testing departments are already aware of this issue.  Your post has now been attached to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will post again.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Windows scroll repositions when editing script
                    TSGal

Smef:

This issue has been addressed in FileMaker Pro 15.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.