AnsweredAssumed Answered

Windows XP screen flash bug or something else?

Question asked by philmodjunk on Jan 5, 2010
Latest reply on Feb 5, 2010 by TSGal

Summary

Windows XP screen flash bug or something else?

Description of the issue

FMP 10v3 database hosted via FMP 10v3 on Windows XP, SP3 system. I have a simple list view layout. No calculation fields are present on the layout. A single a summary field is located in a trailing grand summary that returns a count of the number of records in the current found set. (Yeah, I could have used Get (foundcount) but didn't for some reason when I set this up years ago.) There is no conditional formatting on any objects in the layout. There was a tool tip with a simple calculated text expression. I've temporarily removed it and will report back if that makes any difference. This layout is part of a file that is shared over the LAN, but one and only one user (the boss) has access to this particular layout and the single table that it references. What we are observing is that the hourglass icon pops up frequently with an interval of approx 2 to 10 or more seconds as though Filemaker is refreshing the screen even though no changes are being made to the current table. There are other windows to other files/layouts/tables behind the current window. Some of these windows reference tables/files with frequent updates by about 3 to 8 other users over the LAN. The only other application open at the time I observed this, was a copy of AOL in the background. The user, my boss, is attempting to simply click a check box field in different items in this list to document that he has finished working with that item. The hourglass, which briefly keeps a mouse click from modifying the check boxes, makes this task highly irritating to do. Questions:Is this an example of the dreaded "Windows Flashing layout" bug? (see http://forum-en.filemaker.com/fm/board/message?board.id=aut&thread.id=4729)Could the hourglass we are observing be due to Filemaker attempting to update the background windows?Would Hosting this file from Filemaker Server improve things? (That's were it should be hosted, but I haven't yet convinced the boss to let me try this yet.)

Outcomes