Summary

won't keep paper selection

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows XP

Description of the issue

Periodically, when selecting #10 envelope, it reverts back to letter size.  After I perform a recover it works but only for about a week or so and then I need to recover again.  This is a shared database although this problem occurs whether or not the file is being shared, and it happens on different computers over a network and printing to different printers.  There are only two of us using the database, we do not have a server just shared folders.

Steps to reproduce the problem

go to print set-up, choose landscape, #10 envelope

Expected result

#10 envelope appears in preview

Actual result

letter landscape appears in preview.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

no error message

Configuration information

perform recover

Workaround

recover

• 1. Re: won't keep paper selection
          TSGal

Sherry Barnes:

Thank you for your post.

Are you printing this directly from the File menu, or do you have a script?  If the latter, does the script specify the printer?

When FileMaker runs Recover on a database file, FileMaker will do its best to fix a file, but it is not a cure-all.  If you create a new database file and try to print to #10 envelope, do you get the same problem?  If not, you may want to export your data to a text file, and then use an earlier backup of the file (before this problem began occurring) and import the data.

Please keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: won't keep paper selection
            SherryBarnes

Thank you for your reply. 

Actually, this happens about once or twice a month or so.  I have eight databases all connected through relationships.  There is no script running, and the problem isn't specific to one printer or one database.  When I go into print setup and change the preferences to landscape, #10 envelope, and then look at preview, only the landscape has taken effect, but it stays on letter size paper.  Changing printers or layouts makes no difference.  The only thing I've been able to get to work is to recover the database.  This problem has occured with our previous computers and previous versions of Filemaker.

Thanks again, Sherry

• 3. Re: won't keep paper selection
              TSGal

Sherry Barnes:

Thank you for the additional information.  Since this occurred with previous versions of FileMaker, I'm sure you don't have a file prior to when this began to happen.

Does this occur when you have been working with the files for some time, or does this happen when you have worked with the files for a short time?  Is it the first printing from the database?  Is there anything you can tell me (even if minute) just prior to this happening?  Do you notice anything prior to the printing?  I'm just searching for some common denominator.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: won't keep paper selection
                philmodjunk

I have an idea. If you try it, let me know if it worked.

Take a copy of the file and use recover with the following advanced recover options to create a recovered copy of the file:

Copy File Blocks as is

Delete cached settings.

Now test the recovered copy and see if it works for you.

Since these recover options make very minimal changes to your file, it should be OK to put back into regular use.