4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2016 4:51 PM by doubleHelix

Wrong error dialogue in custom functions

patrick.risch

Summary

Wrong error dialogue in custom functions

Description of the issue

App: FileMaker Advanced 10.0v3OS: MacOS 10.5 Steps to reproduce:Create a customfunction with the name "test" (or any other name).pass at least one parameter, parameter "parameterA" or "parameterB".Enter where the "parameterB" is being used.  Create another customfunction with the name "parameterB", passing no parameters. Open the customfunction "test" and try to save it. FileMaker will show an error dialogue saying that the name "test" is already in use. Instead of saying "parameterB" is already in use.  

• 1. Re: Wrong error dialogue in custom functions
          TSGal

patrick.risch:

Thank you for your post.

I was able to duplicate the problem.  I have forwarded the entire post to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review and confirmation.  I will post when more information becomes available.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Wrong error dialogue in custom functions
            doubleHelix

Wow, this was back in 2009, and FileMaker still has the same bug.  I'm at least glad I found this thread to explain what the heck is going on in my custom functions.  I imported a new custom function that has the same name as parameters in some of my other custom functions.  But the error message doesn't give you a clue as to what the problem is but instead erroneously states what is the error.

• 3. Re: Wrong error dialogue in custom functions
              TSGal

doubleHelix:

I have attached your post to the original report.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Wrong error dialogue in custom functions
                doubleHelix

The error should occur at creating the new custom function that is named the same as some other custom function's parameter.  And it should state as such, that the CF can't be created because another CF contains that name as a parameter.

Additionally, you are never alerted of a conflict at all, unless you just happen to open one of the older CFs with the parameter name, but then only if you just happen to click "OK".  Otherwise, it won't even alert you at all, if you just open the CF and then click "Cancel."