Wrong field in drop-down list when using "2-fold" value-list

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

probably any FileMaker Client

Operating system version

probably any

Description of the issue

When using a drop-down list combined with a value-list that shows the second field but stores the first field, the drop-down list shows the first field.

Since all other control styles (i.e. pop-up menu, checkbox set and radio button set) show the second field as it should be, this is probably a bug for drop-down lists! At least it is probably not what the database designer wanted.

Steps to reproduce the problem

See above.

Expected result

See above.

Actual result

See above.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

-

Configuration information

[BTW: It is very sad that there is no way of keeping the order of the first field without using the byte-order-mark hack.]

Workaround

Use a pop-up menu and prevent multiple selections somehow, although this is probably not what you wanted.

• 1. Re: Wrong field in drop-down list when using "2-fold" value-list
          TSGal

TP:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  Here are the steps I took:

1. Using FileMaker Pro 13.0v2 under Mac OS X 10.9.2, I created a table with two fields: First and Second

2. I entered ten records with Names in "First" and cities in "Second".

3. In Layout mode, I formatted "First" to contain a value list named "Two field" where I use values from First, and also display values from Second.  I have included all values and I have checked the option to "Show values only from second field".  The value list has been applied to First as Drop-down list.

4. After saving the layout and returning to Browse mode, when I create a new record and click First, a value list of cities appear.  When I select a city, the field is replaced by the Name associated with that city.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Wrong field in drop-down list when using "2-fold" value-list
            philmodjunk

I think that TP is referring to the long standing behavior of drop down lists in that you see the field 1 value in the field once you have selected a value and exit the field.

• 3. Re: Wrong field in drop-down list when using "2-fold" value-list
              TP_1

Thank you for checking out!

TSGal, your steps are correct. But I'm sorry, what I meant is what PhilModJunk is saying.

During selection, entries from the second field are shown, but after selecting one, the corresponding first entry is shown in the field. Like I said, this is only the case for drop-down lists and is different (i.e. correct) for e.g. a pop-up menu.

• 4. Re: Wrong field in drop-down list when using "2-fold" value-list
                TSGal

TP:

Thank you for the clarification.

Keep in mind that a Drop-down list allows you to enter data into the field.  The contents is what is stored in the field.  With a pop-up menu, you do not get to see what is stored in the field, so the second value can be displayed.  This is evident if you put two instances of the field on the same layout.  Format one of the fields as a pop-up menu using the desired value list, and set the other instance as a drop-down list using the same desired value list. You can even place a third instance of the field formatted as an Edit box.  This will give you a better idea of what is occurring.

With the pop-up menu, select one of the values, and the first value will be put into the Drop-down instance (and Edit box) of the field.  Likewise, if you use the drop-down menu to select the second value, the first value will be entered into the drop-down list, the Edit box, but the pop-up menu will display the second value.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Wrong field in drop-down list when using "2-fold" value-list
                  TP_1

TSGal, thank you for your explanations, although not new to me. The only point I missed, is, that you can edit the content of a drop-down list field. This makes it clear.

Nevertheless, I wanted something else: A non-editable drop-down list for selecting exactly one distinct value that shows the content of the second field but stores the content of the first field and that is ordered by the first field. Maybe in the future ;-)

Thanks anyway for clearification!

• 6. Re: Wrong field in drop-down list when using "2-fold" value-list
                    TSGal

TP:

I understand the suggestion.  However, the best place to enter this suggestion is in our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The entries into this web form populate a database file that is hosted and monitored by Product Management and Development.  All entries into this web form are discussed and considered for future releases.  Although I could easily copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are a couple of questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Wrong field in drop-down list when using "2-fold" value-list
                      TP_1

Thank you, TSGal. I took your advice and used the Feature Requests web form for this suggestion and others.

• 8. Re: Wrong field in drop-down list when using "2-fold" value-list
                        philmodjunk

Here's a workaround often used with drop down lists to conceal the first field value once the user exits the drop down list:

Assuming this relationship:

LayoutTable::DropDownListField = ValueListTable::IDNumber

With ValueListTable::Name set up as the second field value of the value list,

Put a copy of ValueListTable::Name on top of the DropDownListField, with an opaque fill color and with Browse mode access prohibited via behavior settings set in the Inspector.

As long as you don't specify the arrow option, you can click or tab into the drop down list field hidden behind the name field and it will pop to the front and deploy. Once you have selected a value from the list, the list disappears back behind the name field that now displays the associated field 2 name for the ID selected from the drop down list.