2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2014 11:56 AM by MaximePaquette

Wrong result from Random function on Mac OS 10.9.2 french

MaximePaquette

Summary

Wrong result from Random function on Mac OS 10.9.2 french

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Tested on: FileMaker Pro Advanced 10.0.3, FileMaker Pro 11.0.4, FileMaker Pro Advanced 11.0.4, FileMaker Pro 12.0.5, FileMaker Pro Advanced 12.0.5

Operating system version

Mac OS 10.9.2

Description of the issue

Result from the Random function should return a number between 0 and 1, but on some computer it return a number greater than 1, it does not put a comma in front of the number.

If I change the OS language for english, it work fine, if I go back to french i got the wrong result.

See screen shot where I tested on different computer, in red are when the result is wrong.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Set a field to get the result of the Random function

Expected result

Should give something like:

Actual result

But give something like:

Configuration information

I found two computer that have this particular behavior, both are Mac OS 10.9.2 and in french. 

All version of FileMaker on the computer are affected.

Not all Mac OS 10.9.2 in french have the problem.

Workaround

I have to create a new calculation instead of the Random function, something like:

Let (
             randomNumber = Random;

If ( randomNumber < 1 ; randomNumber ; "," & randomNumber )
      )

Capture_d%E2%80%99%C3%A9cran_2014-03-08_%C3%A0_12.10.44.png

• 1. Re: Wrong result from Random function on Mac OS 10.9.2 french
          TSGal

Maxime Paquette:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done:

1. Under Mac OS X 10.9.2, I changed my Language  Region settings to Preferred language "Francais", and my Region to "France".

2. I launched FileMaker Pro 12.0v5 (previous versions are not supported under Mac OS X 10.9), pulled down the Fichier menu and selected "Nouvelle base de données...".  I named the file Francais12.fmp12 and created the following fields:

Nom {Texte)
               Info (Nombre)

3. I then created 500+ blank records.

4. In Layout Mode, I created the conditional formatting calculation "Info > 1", and applied red fill.

5. In Browse Mode, I put my cursor in the Info field, pulled down the "Enregistrements menu and selected "Remplacer...".

6. I selected the last option "Remplacer par le résultat du calcul" and entered the formula Random, and then clicked Remplacer.

All 515 records had values between 0 and 1, as no records were highlighted with red color.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Wrong result from Random function on Mac OS 10.9.2 french
            MaximePaquette

Thank you for the reply.

I did more tests, but the thing is that it does not happen on all computers and I didn't find what may cause the behavior, so I cannot tell how to reproduce the bug.

On one of the computer that gives the wrong result, I tried reinstalling FileMaker, repair file permission and create a new OS user, nothing changed.

As for the workaround I shared in the first post, I changed it so that I go get the delimiter, like this:

Let ( [

randomNumber = Random;

nomberDelimiter = left(1/2;1)
                 ];
                 If ( randomNumber < 1 ; randomNumber ; nomberDelimiter & randomNumber ) 
                 )

That's about it for now.

Maxime