11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2010 1:35 PM by (O_O)

x * x ≠ x^2 ???

comment_1

Summary

x * x ≠ x^2 ???

Description of the issue

I am not sure this qualifies as a bug as such, but it is a very strange behavior that could indicate a possible bug.  To reproduce, open Data Viewer and type the following expression: 10^203 * 10^203 The result is, quite correctly, 1.0e+406.  Now change the expression to: (10^203)^2 This produces an error (Error#14 - Out of range).  

• 1. Re: x * x ≠ x^2 ???
          TSGal

comment:

Thank you for your post.

Yes, I can replicate the problem.  This works properly up to 1e+404, and definitely fails with 1e+406 and larger.  This occurs on both Windows and Mac platform.

I have forwarded your post along with my findings to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review and confirmation.  If I receive an explanation, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: x * x ≠ x^2 ???
            LaRetta_1

It is strange, but on Windows in vs. 9.0v3, 10.0v3 and now 11, we get same result on 10^203 * 10^203 of 1.0e+406.  But on (10^203)^2, all we have ever gotten is a question mark in the data viewer.   I am curious how you could get an error number for the result in the data viewer.  Or are you using it in a script and referring to Last Error?

Regardless, it appears to be broken in vs. 11as well.

• 3. Re: x * x ≠ x^2 ???
              comment_1

Sorry, I wasn't entirely clear:

(10^203)^2

returns ?

EvaluationError ( (10^203)^2  )

returns 14

• 4. Re: x * x ≠ x^2 ???
                (O_O)

Not saying one way or another about the situation, but just wanted to point out in the specification for FileMaker Pro :

• Number: Support values from 10^-400 up to 10^400 and the negative values of the same range. Index based on the first 400 significant digits. Up to 1 billion characters per field. The first 400 digits are indexed.

The result is above 10e400.

• 5. Re: x * x ≠ x^2 ???
                  TSGal

All:

The information I received back from Development and Testing confirms what "oki182" says.  In specific:

"We don't support numbers past 10e+400, so I suppose Calc1 should also return ?."

This inconsistency has been confirmed and sent on to Development.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: x * x ≠ x^2 ???
                    comment_1

Here's another one, and it has nothing to do with the range limit. Paste this into your Data Viewer:

Let (
                    n = 1.0000000009
                    ;
                    1060 * n*n
                    &¶&
                    1060 * n^2

)

It's obvious that n*n is evaluated differently than n^2. It seems that n*n is more precise (both return the same result if SetPrecision is used).

• 7. Re: x * x ≠ x^2 ???
                      TSGal

comment:

Thanks for the example.   From your original post, it was quite evident that "x*x" was being evaluated differently than "x^2".

Just to show another difference, if you have (n*n), you get another result.

I have entered a new issue, related to the original issue, using your new example along with my findings.  If any additional information becomes available, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: x * x ≠ x^2 ???
                        comment_1

That's a good catch with the parentheses, since 1060 * n*n is actually (1060 * n) * n so it should be evaluated differently than 1060 * n^2.

But I cannot find a good reason why n * 1060 * n and n * n * 1060 are calculated to a different precision.

• 9. Re: x * x ≠ x^2 ???
                          (O_O)

The difference is precision/truncation during the calculation.

Let (n = 1.0000000009;

1060*SetPrecision (n*n;32) &¶&

1060*SetPrecision (n^2;32)

)

The two values will equal the same when you calculate the whole precision.

• 10. Re: x * x ≠ x^2 ???
                            (O_O)

Also to note :

Let (n = 1.0000000009;

SetPrecision (1060*n*n;32)&¶&

SetPrecision (1060*n^2;32)

)

is also showing the correct values.

• 11. Re: x * x ≠ x^2 ???
                              (O_O)

Just as a note, FileMaker's default precision is 16.  

Your calculation goes beyond 16 decimal places.