4 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2012 9:43 AM by james_quiggins

XML Import fails in FileMaker 10 on OS X Lion (10.7)

Charlie Bailey

Summary

XML Import fails in FileMaker 10 on OS X Lion (10.7)

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

OS X 10.7

Description of the issue

Import of XML data fails when XML data source is HTTP request or XSL stylesheet source is HTTP request. If both data source and stylesheet are local files, import proceeds as expected. Error generated:

XML parsing error:
      An exception occured! Type: NetAccessorException,
      Message: Could not connect to the socket for URL '{0}' . Error={1}

Line Number: 0
      Column Number: 0

See this thread for more details:
      https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/83225

Steps to reproduce the problem

A little tricky to setup a test environment, since you need an XML and/or XSLT source hosted via http, but we have confirmed this with different data sources hosted on different servers.

1. Create a local filemaker file with a single table in it.
      2. Create a script (or use the File/Import Records/XML Data Source... menu option)
      3. Point to an HTTP hosted XML data source and XSL stylesheet source.
      4. Execute the command and you'll get the error as specified here:

XML parsing error:
      An exception occured! Type: NetAccessorException,

Note that a successful import actually takes a second or two while the data is retrieved, in this failure case, the error is immediate. Sniffing network packets during this process confirms that the request for the remote files does not even leave the local machine (there are no network packets generated by this script step).

Expected result

Expect to retrieve the data via import.

Actual result

Error as above.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Line Number: 0
      Column Number: 0

Workaround

Use FMP v11 to perform the import or run FMP v10 on OS X v10.6.

• 1. Re: XML Import fails in FileMaker 10 on OS X Lion (10.7)
          james_quiggins

Hello cbseven:

Thank you for posting.

From Knowledge Base 9710 

"Earlier versions of FileMaker have not been tested or certified with Mac OS X Lion; These products were developed and released before Mac OS X Lion became available. While these earlier versions may install and run on Mac OS X Lion, you may encounter installation and stability issues for which there is no resolution." 

We strongly recommend you use FileMaker version 11 or 12 which have been fully tested and certified for Mac OS X Lion.

With that said, I am still forwarding your post and the included link to our Development and Testing department for review.

TSwildcat,

FileMaker Inc. 

• 2. Re: XML Import fails in FileMaker 10 on OS X Lion (10.7)
            Charlie Bailey

TSWildcat,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm aware of the compatibility stance and the referenced kbase article. I understand that I may never get a resolution to this issue. What I'm hoping for is cinfirmation of the issue, and an update to the referenced kbase article specifically identifying this as a known issue with FMP 10 and Lion. I rely heavily on the FMI kbase articles for customer support, and it would be great to have an official word from FMI on this specific issue.

Thanks again for your help,

Charlie Bailey

inRESONANCE

• 3. Re: XML Import fails in FileMaker 10 on OS X Lion (10.7)
              Charlie Bailey

TSWildcat,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm aware of the compatibility stance and the referenced kbase article. I understand that I may never get a resolution to this issue. What I'm hoping for is confirmation of the issue, and an update to the referenced kbase article specifically identifying this as a known issue with FMP 10 and Lion. I rely heavily on the FMI kbase articles for customer support, and it would be great to have an official word from FMI on this specific issue.

Thanks again for your help,

Charlie Bailey

inRESONANCE

• 4. Re: XML Import fails in FileMaker 10 on OS X Lion (10.7)
                james_quiggins

Hello cbseven:

Thank you for your response.

I will update you once more information is made availible to me. 

TSwildcat,

FileMaker Inc.