5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2009 6:47 AM by Vincent_L

XML Import hanging on Macs with FMP 10 + FMS 10

Vincent_L

Summary

XML Import hanging on Macs with FMP 10 + FMS 10

Description of the issue

Hi, I've seen someone complaining about XML Import hanging on the Mac (Leopard 10.5.6). I heavily rely on XML import. At first, using FMP 10 client with FMS 9 server I didn't have the issue. Then I upgraded the server to FMS 10. And then I noticed the issue in some circonstances. I think, the freezing (beach ball of death, HI CPU usage from filemaker) occurs if you use FMP 10 client with FMS 10 server only. My feeling is that this happens when another client is also performing a XML import at the same time, or if a busy script is also launch on another client. Here's an extract of the sample of the filemaker hanged process  :  Sampling process 2439 for 3 seconds with 1 millisecond of run time between samplesSampling completed, processing symbols...Analysis of sampling FileMaker Pro (pid 2439) every 1 millisecondCall graph:    683 Thread_2507      683 start        683 _start          683 main            683 CMacApp::Main()              683 CMacEventPump::Run()                683 CMacEventPump::PumpEvent(EventRecord&)                  683 CFMProApp::DispatchNullEvent(EventRecord const&)                    683 CFMProApp::Idle(bool)                      683 Draco::FMSession::OnIdle(bool)                        683 Draco::ScriptRuntimeBase::OnIdle()                          683 Draco::ScriptRuntimeBase::DoNextStep()                            683 Draco::ScriptRuntimeBase::Execute()                              683 ScriptRuntime::DispatchStep(bool&)                                683 AppExecuteCommand(FMDocWindow*, unsigned int, bool, bool)                                  683 AppHandleCommand(FMDocWindow*, unsigned int, bool)                                    683 DoImportExport(FMDocWindow*, unsigned int)                                      683 Draco::FMImportManager::PerformImport(Draco::QuadChar)                                        683 Draco::FMImportManager::SetupImport(Draco::UniversalPath&, bool, bool)                                          683 Draco::FMImportXML::OpenTranslator(Draco::UniversalPath&)                                            683 Draco::FMImportXML::DoInitFilter(Draco::DBError&, Draco::UniversalPath&)                                              683 Draco::FMPXMLParser::FirstPass(Draco::unistring, bool)                                                683 SAXParser::parse(unsigned short const*, bool)                                                  683 XMLScanner::scanDocument(unsigned short const*, bool)                                                    683 XMLScanner::scanDocument(InputSource const&, bool)                                                      683 XMLScanner::scanReset(InputSource const&)                                                        683 ReaderMgr::createReader(InputSource const&, bool, XMLReader::RefFrom, XMLReader::Types, XMLReader::Sources)                                                          683 XMLReader::XMLReader(unsigned short const*, unsigned short const*, BinInputStream*, XMLReader::RefFrom, XMLReader::Types, XMLReader::Sources, bool)                                                            681 URLAccessBinInputStream::readBytes(unsigned char*, unsigned int)                                                              578 priv_URLIdle                                                                496 Security::UnixPlusPlus::Selector::operator()()                                                                  463 select$DARWIN_EXTSN                                                                    463 select$DARWIN_EXTSN                                                                  28 Security::UnixPlusPlus::Selector::singleStep(Security::Time::Interval)                                                                    11 Security::UnixPlusPlus::Selector::singleStep(Security::Time::Interval)                                                                    7 Security::UnixPlusPlus::FDSet::make(int)                                                                      4 Security::UnixPlusPlus::FDSet::make(int)                                                                      3 __memcpy                                                                        3 __memcpy                                                                    4 modf$fenv_access_off                                                                      4 modf$fenv_access_off                                                                    3 select$DARWIN_EXTSN  

• 1. Re: XML Import hanging on Macs with FMP 10 + FMS 10
          TSGal

Glitchtracker:

Thank you for your post, and sorry for the late reply.

This problem also appears to exist only on the Mac platform.  Our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments are aware of this issue, but no information is available about a fix.  I have attached your post to that case.  If any information becomes available, I will let you know. 

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: XML Import hanging on Macs with FMP 10 + FMS 10
            Vincent_L

as someone said this seems to happen when there's a failure.

I think that what's going on is that when the server on which we're getting the xml from (yes the xml is generated on the fly by a php script) doesn't respond then it hangs forever insted of just interupting the process.

The last time I noticed it, I was in fact suffuring a network interution (to the internet where the xml was, local network was ok)

So basically to me it's just bad "error" handling (and by error I mean lost of connection between FM Client and the xml source on the web, XML syntax errors seems to be properly handled to me)

• 3. Re: XML Import hanging on Macs with FMP 10 + FMS 10
              Vincent_L
                 To be perfectly clear, my poblems is not that FMP crashes, it doesn't crash, but the import process is hung forewer. I's with remote file  and FMP installed xlst file (which I've put on the remote serveur). That's not wth local files (all my files are remote)
              • 4. Re: XML Import hanging on Macs with FMP 10 + FMS 10
                TSGal

Glitchtracker:

Thanks for the clarification.

After looking over the original case that reports it as a local file, the crash log reported there is almost identical to yours, so I am sure it is related.  If it isn't, I'm sure either Development or Testing will let me know (and I'll let you know).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: XML Import hanging on Macs with FMP 10 + FMS 10
                  Vincent_L
                     again I thinks that's when there's a nework interuption, most of the time for me it works ok (remote xl source and remote xslt)