AnsweredAssumed Answered

XSLX Excel Imports

Question asked by hschlossberg on Aug 31, 2009
Latest reply on Sep 4, 2009 by TSGal

Summary

XSLX Excel Imports

Description of the issue

I'm trying to import a modern Excel file (.xslx format) in 10v3 (Win XP SP3) and can't get it to work as desired.  Surely others have used this feature with success?  Maybe it's just a Windows thing?  Or maybe it's because I don't have a modern version of Excel running on my machine?I have tried it three ways, but only the third works:1) Open the xslx file as a new FM file: I get the Import status window that shows 'importing from: myfile.xlsx' and 'records remaining' (with no record count or file size specified).  Never asks if the first row is data or field names, and nothing else ever becomes of it. 2) Import into an existing file as a new table: asks me which worksheet to import and then pops up the status window as above for about a minute before it finally pops up the Import Field Mapping window.  Import Field Mapping can only be worked on at this point by clicking 'stop' on the status window.  Default is to import into the current table, but as soon as I select 'New Table', I get the status dialog again.  I can click stop to go back to the Import Field Mapping dialog, but as soon as I click the "don't import first record" option, it pops up the status window again as though it has started importing, though it doesn't get anywhere.  (Again, I hit 'stop'.)  No target fields are shown, even though the target table is shown as "new table" and I can see all the source fields and can click the arrow through all the field data.  The 'Import' button is grayed out, presumably because no fields have been mapped (and I can't because there are no target fields appearing to be mapped).3) Import into an existing table of an existing file: asks me which worksheet to import and then pops up the status window as above for about a minute before it finally pops up the Import Field Mapping window. Default is to import into the current table, which display fine.  Clicking the "don't import first record" option takes about 45 seconds to get a reaction.  But from here I can click the 'import' button and it works as expected.  Of course I don't have the desired field names since I am importing into an existing table.    

Outcomes