12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2010 8:26 AM by villafan

Zebra Label Printer Page Size Problem

RaydbGuy

Summary

Zebra Label Printer Page Size Problem

Description of the issue

Using FileMaker Pro Advanced 9.0v3 on windows XP the following problem occurs.When I create a label layout for the Zebra printer the layout does not show the correct page size.The label size shown in page setup is 1.5 x 0.5 but the size shown in layout mode and preview mode is 6.375 x 1.375. Single labels will print correctly so it appears that FileMaker is sending the correct information to the label printer. But printing multiple labels results in a label being skipped. Since preview shows two labels on one page it appears that FileMaker thinks that the second label should have printed on the first page and proceeds to send the data to print the third label.I have a second Zebra printer connected with a media size of 2.75 x 1.25. The page size shown in the Layout and preview mode for this layout is also about 3 times large than it should be.I connected an HP laser printer and created a layout for the 8.5 x 11 page format. The page size was displayed correctly in the Layout mode and the Preview mode. I installed FileMaker Pro Advanced 8.0 on the same computer and opened the same database. The Layout mode and preview mode show the correct label size. Printing multiple labels works as expected and prints every label. Something changed in version 9.0 that causes it to misread the page size for the Zebra drivers. I saw a report in the knowledge base where another user was seeing the same problem with version 9. Unfortunately that user was not sure how to configure his system so the problem was not obvious. I have the latest version of the Zebra drivers installed. I am using the Zebra TLP 3844-z and Zebra SM4 label printers.

• 1. Re: Zebra Label Printer Page Size Problem
          TSGal

RaydbGuy:

Thank you for your post.

I would change the Body size in Layout Mode to 1.5 x 0.5.  Then, there will be no skipping of labels between printings.

In your second layout that uses the second Zebra printer, change the Body size in Layout Mode to 2.75 x 1.25.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Zebra Label Printer Page Size Problem
            RaydbGuy

This is not a layout configuration problem. I have been using FileMaker with continuous feed label printers for 15+ years. I understand how to configure the layouts.

When I use the same database on the same computer with the same printers in FileMaker 8 it works fine.

This is a FileMaker 9 BUG.

Let me explain the problem again to give you a better understanding of what is happening.

In FileMaker 9, I created a Label Layout with a size of 1.5 x 0.5, one label wide. In the Layout Mode the page size, indicated by the dashed lines, is 1.5 x .05. In Preview Mode the page size is 1.5 x .5. When I select File > Print Setup and verify that the page size is configured for 1.5 x 0.5 and click OK, the page size displayed in Preview mode and Layout mode changes to 6.375 x 1.375.

When I open the same database on the same computer in FileMaker 8, the page size displayed in Preview mode and Layout mode is ALWAYS 1.5 x 0.5. When I select File > Print Setup and verify that the page size is configured for 1.5 x 0.5 and click OK, the page size displayed in Preview and Layout remains set to 1.5 x 0.5.

If you need more details or further clarification of the BUG, please let me know.

• 3. Re: Zebra Label Printer Page Size Problem
              TSDiva

RaydbGuy,

The issue that you are describing sounds similar to a known issue we have seen in FileMaker Pro 8.5 and 9 where you are unable to print custom page sizes.

If this is indeed the same issue, it has been resolved in FileMaker Pro 10. I know that this is not a good workaround for you but I suggest that you download the FileMaker Pro 10 trial version to see if you are still able to reproduce this issue in the latest release.

-TSDiva

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Zebra Label Printer Page Size Problem
                etripoli
                   I had something like this happen, and it turned out I had the wrong resolution selected in the Print dialog box.  It sounds like it trying to print at a lower resolution that the maximum dpi of the printer.
                • 5. Re: Zebra Label Printer Page Size Problem
                  pmeyer

Is the an update to this issue?

Using FM9.03 (german, volume licence) on XP having the same problem. We have several Label Printers (TEC and Zebra Z4M) and updating to FM10 is NOT an option.

If i could i would reinstall FM6, were these problems did not occur.

btw: to test this you can simply install the Zebra driver setting it to print to file. You will find that the paper format is not recongnized.

• 6. Re: Zebra Label Printer Page Size Problem
                    TSGal

pmeyer:

Thank you for your post.

This is fixed in FileMaker Pro 10, and we will not be revisiting FileMaker Pro 9 to fix the problem.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: Zebra Label Printer Page Size Problem
                      WoodApple

This is fixed in FileMaker Pro 10, and we will not be revisiting FileMaker Pro 9 to fix the problem.

It amazes me how many problems are never fixed in the present version and newer versions may fix one thing but introduces a new set of bugs too. The result is that no version of Filemaker is free from major bugs (and smaller bugs are often ignored for many versions)

• 8. Re: Zebra Label Printer Page Size Problem
                        LizaFlorendo

There are many problem are occured zebra label printer so before purchasing we have to make sure the brand and specification of it. If want purchase quality with broad specification just go through below links , i am sure you will get best product.

• 9. Re: Zebra Label Printer Page Size Problem
                          5104919325FTN

The best results I had with Windows for single labels, was after doing those steps:

_ Only a body part;

_ All margins set to "0";

_ I defined my own customer label size onto the printer driver. For this, of course, you need a printer driver, that allows user defined page sizes.

I had a good results with the valentin-driver. <- this is a link

The labels I defined with this driver were after that available for all other printers !!!

So you don't even need to own a valentin printer, just install the driver and use it ...

Was it helpfull to you?

• 10. Re: Zebra Label Printer Page Size Problem
                            5104919325FTN

WoodApple wrote:

It amazes me how many problems are never fixed in the present version and newer versions may fix one thing but introduces a new set of bugs too. The result is that no version of Filemaker is free from major bugs (and smaller bugs are often ignored for many versions)

W.A., don't be so pessimist, I hope the best for the future :

At least, FM reorganized the forums, and now we can warn for bugs (or ommissions) quickly reporting them here.

And it seems, that some FM employees are assisting us on this form of "cooperation against the bad and evil bugs" for a better world.

Something is in the air (well and you got a new president, didn't you?).

So, come on, let's hope again :-)

(no, I don't really believe in goodness of the mankind, but I'm an optimist).

• 11. Re: Zebra Label Printer Page Size Problem
                              WoodApple

Sorry I am such a pessimist. It comes from many years of experience using filemaker. I do hope for the best, and this forum does give me some hope but.... part of my job is to prepare for the worst and to determine risk. Currently, there is not a newer version of filemaker that I would be willing to deploy (and I am using 8.5 for about 25 users).

FM11 comes close but has at least one major bug that has no workaround and no workaround is possible. (Portal flicker on windows, only workaround - don't use portals)

So, here is to hoping that Filemaker comes out with a solid, stable version that won't give you a seizure before the OS will no longer run their older versions. In the meantime, I must prepare for the worst. At the moment that means giving some thought to other development platforms which is not really a road I want to go down but may make the most sense in the long run.

• 12. Re: Zebra Label Printer Page Size Problem
                                villafan

Hi guys, I am new to the world of barcode labels and need some advice and suggestions on which barcode label printer to go for? I have already been told that the Printronix and the Zebra range are very good but would like a bit more input.

Thanks in advance