Zombie server user

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

13.0v2

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.9.3

Description of the issue

Even thought they don't show up in connected clients, you can sometimes see several instances of the server user connected to a database file.

This can lead (as it happened to me today, to error 302 : this tale is used by another user).

Steps to reproduce the problem

I don't know but I noticed it Running several server side script scheduled scripts.

Expected result

Connected clients should reflects the connected clients of a particular database file and vice versa .

Actual result

Connected clients don't show the several instance of the server user connected to some files

Workaround

Close the database files which has those several instance connected

Zombie_issue.jpg

• 1. Re: Zombie server user
          TSGal

Vincent L:

Thank you for your post.

Once a server side script completes, it should remove itself as a client.  However, keep in mind that if records are locked on a client machine, a script performed on the host cannot access uncommitted data or change the contents of those records until the lock is removed, and this may lead to the script waiting for those committed changes.  Is this a possibility?

In your Perform Script on Server, do you have the option for Wait for Completion?

Perhaps it would be helpful to know what script steps you are performing on the server.

Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Zombie server user
            VincentL

It's not perform script on server (PSoS), it's a scheduled server side script.

The script step is NEW record (and by the way this script step can't be concerned by locking anyway)

There was the zombie FMPServer user connected to that DB but FMPServer user was not listed in connected clients.

That alone is the problem, and should never be possible.

This situation only occurred once to me with a 302 error "table is user by another user" error.

Howewer, I often, since fms 13 (before was in 11), noticed such zombie FMPServer user. But with less consequences.

I checked the Devecenter file for irruption, there wasn't any. 

• 3. Re: Zombie server user
              TSGal

Vincent L:

Thank you for the clarification and additional information.

How often does the schedule run?  Once a day?  Once an hour?

Do these ghost connections only occur for one file?  How many tables are included in the file?

Is there anything "out of the ordinary" in the event.log that corresponds to the time the schedule was run.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Zombie server user
                VincentL

Several time a day, 4 times / hour

Only this time on this file with 302 error. But also on other file. In the file there's 7 tables, but not related

nothing un-ordinary, except the 302 error provoked by those zombie

• 5. Re: Zombie server user
                  VincentL

By the way,

Right now I'm having a zombie FMPServer on another file.

But hard to know if this is due to same problem, because I didn't restart (just closed the offending file).

I tried to sample fmserver, with osx monitor app but doesn't seem to work. Nothing in log

• 6. Re: Zombie server user
                    VincentL

The zombi are still here, if you want me to do some clever terminal tricks that's the right time to ask

• 7. Re: Zombie server user
                      TSGal

Vincent L:

Since this is also happening in another file, what are the scheduled scripts performing on those files/tables, and how often are those scripts run?

What field options do you have on the table where you receive the "Table is in use by another user" error.  That is, do you have a Serial Number option where it is generated on commit?  What follows the New Record script step?  Is there a Commit Records script step following the New Record step?

Did you have a prior version of FileMaker Server where this was running properly?

Any additional information you can provide about the scheduled script and/or event.log and/or system log might be helpful.

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Zombie server user
                        VincentL

Oh sorry, I think I got confused and misnterpreted data.

The problem is that on Clients you have the User name

While on the database pane you have Computer name and account name.

So actually, on that screen shot there's no issue. The 3 FMPServer is the computer name of the 3 127.0.0.1 Clients.

That'd be nice that in the file pane there was the client name, so we could compare easily.

Sorry for that wrong report, you can delete it. Now I need to understand why the 302 error