Zoomed List window moves partially off-screen

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v4

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.6.8

Description of the issue

I'm running FileMaker on a Mac with three monitors.  The attached screenshot shows the size and relative positions of the monitors.

The left and right monitors are positioned slightly below the center/main monitor to make it easy to move the mouse cursor into the top corners of the main monitor to trigger MaxMenus and PopChar.

When a List layout window on the left monitor is resized to fit, the window moves off the top of the screen.  The window title bar (with the close, minimize & zoom button) and FileMaker toolbar are off-screen.

Set "Steps" below for the details.

Steps to reproduce the problem

1.  Position a List layout window on the main monitor.

2.  Click the windows green zoom button - the window height expands to fill the space between the menu bar and the top of the Dock.  Get ( WindowTop ) returns "0".

3.  Zoom the window back to its regular size.

4.  Move the window to the left monitor.

5.  Zoom the window to maximum height - the window height expands to 960 pixels (the height of the screen), and the top of the window (title bar + FileMaker toolbar) moves off-screen.  Get ( WindowTop ) returns "-82".

If I carefully position an unzoomed window at the top of the left screen, Get ( WindowTop ) returns "40".

Expected result

The zoomed List window should stay completely on-screen.

Actual result

The zoomed List window moves off the top of the screen.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

n/a

FileMakerScreens.png

• 1. Re: Zoomed List window moves partially off-screen
          TSGal

Ward:

Thank you for your post.

This appears to be related to your post at:

Multiple monitors confuse Get ( WindowDesktopWidth )

Granted, this is an entirely different issue, but I'd like to explore a couple of options.

If you move the window to the right monitor and zoom the window, since it is also appearing below the top of the main (center) monitor, what results do you get?  That is, do you also return a negative value for Get (WindowTop)?  If you get expected values, then that information will be helpful for the other link.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Zoomed List window moves partially off-screen
            Ward

On the main (center) monitor, clicking the green zoom button does what I'd expect:

1. Moves to window to the top of the screen (just under the menu bar), leaving the position of the left edge unchanged.
            2. Expands the window to reach the bottom of the screen.  (It's actually 1054 pixels high, with a Desktop size of 1058. That small difference is the same when zooming my OmniWeb browser window.)

Moving the window to the center of the right monitor and clicking the zoom button behaves differently:

1. Moves the window part way to the top of the screen (y = 157, not 0 like the main monitor).
            2. The resulting left position is unpredictable -- it ether says the same or the window jumps to the left edge of the screen.
            3. Expands the window to be the height of the screen (1200 pixels).  But since the window is not at the top of the screen, the bottom of the window is off-screen.

It's interesting that zoom problem on the left and right monitors is opposite:

• On the left monitor, the zoomed window is positioned too high, with the top of the window off-screen.
            • On the right monitor, the zoomed window is positioned too low, with the bottom of the window off-screen.

Thanks, TSGal, for cross-referencing my reports and sharing my experience with the developers.  If they're interested in another beta tester, could me in.

-- Ward

• 3. Re: Zoomed List window moves partially off-screen
              TSGal

Ward:

Thanks for the additional testing.  I do appreciate it.

I have entered this as a separate issue, and I made notes to that it may be related to the other issue (reported in the link mentioned in my initial reply).

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Zoomed List window moves partially off-screen
                TSGal

Ward:

This issue has been addressed in FileMaker Pro 16.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.